Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest California black & gold plates on new cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Aug 6, 2017.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, and a guy I know got his truck impounded, and could not get it back from the po-po until he showed up with unmolested plates. It was a hefty ticket, and the tow and impound fees were nearly 2G's.

That's a stupid gamble.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  2. My experience has been that the current CHP officers have no idea when the different plates were offered in Ca. As long as you have a currently registered plate for the car that they can run through the DMV database, they don't give a shit. Now louvered plates, or plates painted to match the car's paint are a different story.

BigDogSS likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See my comment above.

4. I guess I've been a stupid gambler for 21 years.

cretin likes this.
  5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

thanks for clearing this up. Just saw some cal black plates on a late model car in Ga.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's illegal to alter exhaust, add a piller guages to diesel trucks, etc, etc, etc.....

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

If you want to make the plates look more original for old pre 68 rides, use 3 letters , soace, and then 3 numbers. That's for a car. A truck would be: 1 letter, space, 2 numbers, space, and than 3 numbers.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Russian Roulette Logic:

You can play Russian Roulette once-a-day, every day of your life, and die of old age.

That does not mean that Russian Roulette is safe.

It means you are very lucky.

9. Budget36

Budget36

I think the new ones have a brownish tint in them, certainly not the same black as the old plates. The yellow seems be be off as well.

10. Budget36

Budget36

Only for commercial plates.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

All trucks then, used commercial plates. I remember that well.

12. Budget36

Budget36

No. In fact I had a '70 Jeep PU with 269 VAT, non commercial plates, when going to school. I used a sliding canvas cover on it to hide an exposed load and be legal.

13. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I have the old yellow on black commercial plates on my (avatar) '55. There are LOTS of modern cars with them here in LA. Kinda eliminates the originality of my old ones unless you know the old ones couldn't be had personalized - that started in '76 wit hthe yellow on blue plates.

I'd like to get the truly original black on yellow plates for it with the metal corner tag for '55 but people selling them think they're made of gold. They want $300-400 for them - ugh, no.

14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Well, this is interesting - Went to the DMV website and typed in the number of my '64 Imperial (which I sold in 1988) and the number comes up "not available". Then I typed in the number of my '62 (in my avatar) that was junked in 1983 after a hit-and-run driver clobbered it, and it's available. Guess my '64 is a survivor!

15. Texas allows you to put old period license plates on your rod/custom. Just look for a pair of Texas plates for the year you want and the local tax office will reinstate the plate number. Feenaay Haas lots of listings.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

The CA DMV will not allow the "3 letters , space, and then 3 numbers" sequence.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

This is true, but VERY uncommon. 99%+ of the pick ups (even El Caminos/Rancheros) in CA are registered as commercial. The pick ups registered as passenger cars have to follow very strict rules and usually have to have the bed covered and NOT used to haul anything.

gimpyshotrods and jcmarz like this.
  18. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Black plates on new cars --> Yep, I've got them. The original black plates have been my favorites plates for years. I have an OT 1967 Impala SS that is an original black plate car. At first, I resisted. Then I saw more and more of them. Then I thought heck, if they are offering them, why not? The state did a pretty good job of making them look close to the originals. I'm happy with them.

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I didn't know. I was just mentioning about the sequence of the old ones. Also, the old ones were painted on both sides, the new ones aren't.

20. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

May not be available because it's on a motorcycle, I use the yom a lot , and if someone regerstered it as a yom they own it you have to get it released yom year of manufacture

21. tofords

tofords

22. Uh oh, the plate police will get you too. ^^^ ;)

23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hi Dean --> That is the new and legal "Legacy Plate".

24. Lost in translation..... Feebay has..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's because they are not true black.

They are reflective.

26. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

IMO, they look damn good!! When they first announced they wanted to get 5000 orders before they commit, I was skeptical because they did not have an actual sample of what the plate would look like. I was afraid they would completely change it and butcher it. So I did not commit until I actually saw them on vehicles. Not exact, but I think they came out rather well.

27. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Yeah, keyword, "trying".

Some people are ok with replica crap. The new Commeifornia black & yellow plates are the PT Cruisers and late model V6 Challengers of the license plate world.

wojojo and BigDogSS like this.