Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadmobile/ oldsillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexington, Sep 12, 2011.

1. lexington

lexington

i POSTED A SIMULAR REQUEST A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND DIDNT HAVE MUCH RESPONSE SO i THOUGHT I WOULD TRY AGAIN. YESTERDAY I ACQUIRED A 41 CADILLAC FLTHEAD ENGINE THAT I WANT TO TRY AND INSTALL IN A 52 OLD 98. I KNOW I WILL PROBABLY CATCH A BUNCH OF FLAK FOR THIS BUT NO ONE LIKED THE SBC IDEA EITHER.IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT THE CARS ARENT THAT FAR APART IN AGE IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE WAR YEARS WHEN THERE WAS VERY LITTLE R&D GOING ON. ITHINK THIS WILL BE SOMETHING UNIQUE PLUS SAVE TWO ANTIQUES FROM THE SCRAP YARD. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING THEY CAN TELL ME ABOUT THIS SWAP IF ITS POSSIBLE WITHOUT CUTTING THE CAR UP TOO BAD. THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU HAVE

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you will be VERY disappointed!

it just wouldn't be very expensive to find a 303 or 324 to put in the Olds. It sure would be easier.

and much more acceptible.

but to each his own.

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I doubt if anyone on this board, outside of the FlatCad Racing team members, loves the Cadillac flathead more than I.

Having said that, I don't think much of the idea!

By 1952, OHV engines were firmly established as the engine to have. Sure, flatheads still contended in some venues, but OHV's ruled. I don't think anyone would have put the powerplant in a car.

It's your car- obviously do what makes you happy.

...but you asked, so....

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

it will one of those WTF swap's,i did 241 red ram hemi in a gremlin once..

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I have seen a Caddy flathead motor here in St. Louis area that has a turbo on it.
    Way cool.

In answer to your question, it will take LOT of modification, as that motor weighs in at 900 pounds, about twice what a OHC motor does.

Yes, sheet metal AND suspension will need to be changed/cut/modified.
    I was going to put one into a '36 Chevy PU but abandoned the project due to these issues.

Glenn

6. Eight433

Eight433

I don't think it's as romantic of an idea as you seem to, but if you decide to do it, I nominate the name Oldsmobillac.

7. snaptwo

snaptwo

Whatever winds your clock ! Out of a need for basic transportation and a lack of money, I stuck a hemi into a '50 Olds using a Cad sideshift box. I do believe though the flatty cad will be a dissapointment. My .02 cents

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Why?
    Just because the fat girl found a pair of "Daisy Dukes" in her size doesn't mean she should wear them in public!

9. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

oh yes it does check out peopleofwalmart.com lol but yeah the flatty caddy is a bad idea..

10. As mentioned, you are going backwards in engine technology. The 1952 Olds would have the new in 1949 OHV Olds engine. Much improved over any flathead.

Would the swap make people scrath their heads? Yes, but in a WTF type head scratch.

11. See, when I get a bunch of stuff that doesn't match like that, I sell the parts that don't match so I can go out and buy parts that will match up. Caddy motor is worth $500 if it's buildable. Watch the exhaust manifolds, they're delicate.

12. rld14

rld14

Exactly what I was just thinking.

Part of me wants to buy some 80s/90s Camaro and throw a hot flathead in it....

13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Backwards thinking SOMETIMES does work, but in your case I'd say Fogetaboutit.

[​IMG]

14. john walker

john walker

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I can sell you a nice 303 Olds Rocket V8 and tranny---you can sell your Caddy mill

16. lexington

lexington

What do you want for the 303 and trans? Also would you consider a trade? I expect to have the cad running by the weekend it also has a hydromatic with it.

17. ^^^There's the right answer. Now that Poverty Flats has fixed it, you can close this thread.^^

18. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I also have a '52 Olds 98 so I'm interested in what you're doing. If you do decide to go with a Rocket motor and the one PF has doesn't work out I just saw this on the MPLS Craigslist yesterday. 324 motor with transmission for $850- $700 for engine only. Supposed to be a strong runner. Just for the record I have no association with the seller. Just something I saw.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/2591503464.html

Jay

19. lexington

lexington

tELL ME ABOUT YOUR CAR AND WHAT YOUR VISION/PLANS ARE FOR IT. tHANKS STEVE