Register now to get rid of these ads!

cadillac with manual olds top loader.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin ass, Jul 20, 2005.

1. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i wouldn't say you're stupid.i would say you're committed.
    or you ought to be committed ;) :p :D

2. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

yeah, i wanna get the car done before the "hunnert car pileup":eek: in IL... so ill prolly just run the hydro. thanks everyone for the info!:D

oh and where do you get the idea that im "mr moneybags".. im the poorest guy i know:( and i said, i was looking for the most "cost effective way" to do this.

if there wasnt ebay id be out on the curb....

3. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

What did you use to make your column shifting cad/lasalle a floor shifter? Did you use a hurst and modify it?
    I'm building a truck running the cadillac flathead, and have the column shifting tranny still on it (missing only the shift fork). I am on the fence with either using it, or running an adapter to a th400 or 700r4?
    Let me know how you did it, if its dang easy, you just made my decision to keep it.

4. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

its a quite quick just bolt on with an ordinary hurst 3speed shifter kit..

the 2 versions of the 3speed floor shifters hurst sell both work

5. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Done, thats it! F-ing sweet! Thanks man.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I wasn't aware that/if Lou changed the bellhousing when he installed the LaSalle; I had thought it was a bolt-in. I accept what you're saying.

7. hotrodinstraycat

hotrodinstraycat

$2.53 a gallon of regular. I WISH!!! You wouldn't want to live this side of the pond! £4.50 a gallon here, that equates to $7.87 and if we buy a car from your neck of the woods the goverment charges us 10% of the purchase price of the car and shipping, then adds all that up and charges another 17.5 % in taxes on top of that too!!! Simple equasion 10,000 dollar car plus shipping 1500= 11500 + duties @ 1150 + taxes @2213 bringing the total to us $14863 and it rains.

8. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

and then we have all those people who wont even sell to foreigners so its not always so easy to find what your looking for, and you have to buy the shit unseen often...

9. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

even shipping parts over there is a pain i the ass. i sold a 53 chevy trans innercooler on ebay and im shipping it to europe, gotta file papers and shit. wtf.:confused:

i sold a guy hte air cleaner for my 60 cadillac and it cost him more in shipping then it was worth.:rolleyes:

10. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

yeah shipping costs sucks, its good if you have a friend that ships home a car so you can put it in the trunk or something, but anyhow

just figure how easy it might be to find a caddy air cleaner over here

actually even with like 100-150% extra with shipping etc alot of stuff is still alot cheaper to buy from the us via ebay etc then to buy it here on a swapmeet,

11. I just got a Lasalle, there still out there, this one came from the LA Roadster show swap.

12. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

you lucky SOB:eek::D;)

ps. that red one is the one ive been talking about this whole time.(the one that mr. sales had)

13. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

so if i got these parts i could bolt it up to my 55 caddy(the later bellhousing) 331 right??

bellhousing

trans

if so, then what fork, throw out bearing, and pressure plates do i get?

14. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

If you can find one the 41-48 Olds 98 flat I8 also used the Cad/LaSalle box. I pulled one out of a 47 last year.
    The big block Buick 8's also used the same gears, from 37 to I believe 52.

The Olds and Cad had a change in mid 50, 2nd and the main shaft are different but can be interchanged as a pair.

A complete set of 50 gears can be installed in a 51-3 case.

I havent found all the interchange combos yet but Ive several different boxes to play with and get edumancated.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Notice that this particular trans has the superduper long tailshaft (longer than any of those in the Lou Sales article). It's my impression that these came from limos and ambulances. The gears and synchros are all good, but the tailshaft reaches halfway to your rear bumper.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

17. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Unfortunately no. Olds all had the extended bell, Cads last year was 54. That bellhousing won't fit the later motor. It looks like it is a 51 bell too which the Cad LaSalle manual won't work with, need 1950 Olds Bellhousing as previously stated.

18. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

1st off,that transmission has a different bolt pattern than the bellhousing.
    the '50 Oldsmobile is a one-year-only piece that allows a Cad-LaSalle to bolt up without an adaptor.
    that bellhousing fits'49-'64 Oldsmobile and '49-'54 ONLY Cadillac.the bellhousing pattern changed for '55-'62 Cad,one of the reasons the '55 Cadillac one-year-only R-type dual-range hydra-matic is so valuable,the other reason being;they also have the internal gear ratio that drag racers like.
    the '55 Pontiac has the same internal ratio,but the pinion gears are weaker.

19. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

even more reasons why i should keep my 55 trans.. hehe:D

ok, i understand now. that whole bellhousing thing was confusing me, but after hearing it a few times i finally got it through my head;):D

prolly just run the hydro. but its always good to know my options.