Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac Torque converter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Apr 15, 2009.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

Anyone know how much these run? After all these months of working on my car getting it ready for the LSR, the torque converter is busted and I'm supposed to leave tommorow? any idea where I can find one?:eek: damn

2. r8odecay

r8odecay

i'm a little stupid on this, but pretty sure you don't have a torque converter, you have a fluid coupler. is a torus/cover and I don't think autozone stocks them bro.

3. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

it's in the shop right now and they are saying "with the amount of flud leaking out you got a busted torque converter" orginally they said itwas the front pump seal. Now they are saying that they cannot drop the transmission because of the X member and they have to pull the tranny and the engine out as one unit. wtf are they talking about

4. r8odecay

r8odecay

Leakage may be at several points:
    1. between flywheel and crankshaft
    2. between flyweel and torus cover
    3. between torus cover neck and front oil seal
    4. between front oil pump housing (front cover) and transmission case.

all of them require some work to fix.

hope this helps some.

they should be able to pull trans off the engine in the frame, have to remove like 32 bolts at torus and slide it back. i've never done this, but read it in the manual. i did not stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I hope somebody can chime in here, I am at work and don't have my books...
    <!-- / message -->

5. I pulled the tranny on my 61 cadddy which has an X memeber frame. As r8odecay stated, that's is how we did it.

You need to find a tranny shop that knows old caddy transmissions.

6. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

i'm taking off here in the next hour to go pick it up. i just hope the idiots have it back together by then.

7. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Send me a Pm. I have a couple of Cadillac transmissions in Amarillo on the cheap.

8. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

pm'd you. thanks for your help

9. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

just picked itup. has a small drip. runs fine in first and second wont get out of second gear though. ???????

10. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

a little more info. i had the carb rebuilt a month ago, could it be the pv linkage was not hooked back up correctly when the put it back on the carb?

11. r8odecay

r8odecay

What about reverse? If it is gone, than the only common indicator for 3rd and reverse is the front band being wasted. Yeah, I'd look at the carb linkage for sure...

edit: front band being wasted would affect first gear as well...