Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac sombrero mounting?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sprout, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Just picked up a set of 50-52 Cadillac sombreros. How do I go about mounting them to non Cadillac wheels?

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. morac41

morac41

Get some Cadillac wheels

3. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I just did two sets of brand-new McVeys last week, and have done at least 12 sets in the past few years... I weld a trim ring to the backside of the sombreros. Send me a message for pricing. Reproduction (McVeys) or original- same prices to modify.

I also modify the '53 Cadillac hubcaps in addition to the '47-'52 sombreros.

Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

EVL401, Sprout and The Shift Wizard like this.
  4. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Different bolt pattern...it's not that easy :)

5. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I just did a set of 53 caps for my car. ( "15 Stock Ford shoebox rims ) I should have taken pictures, but the backside of my caps are not very pretty to look at. The method I used was welding trim rings to the backside of my caps. Some of these 53 caps have a full skin on the backside/inside, some have a type of deep trim ring, mine had the full skin on the back. I cut off this skin, leaving about 1.5 of the skin to weld the trim rings to. I made a jig to keep the trim ring and cap lined up, then I ripped 4 pieces metal per cap, about 1 inch wide and about 4 inches long ( that was the size of the gap between the cap and trim ring ) and I welded the trim ring to what was left of the inner skin.

Attached Files:

EVL401, Sprout and The Shift Wizard like this.
  6. morac41

morac41

Hi shoebox950...I was just being a bit viscous...as a Caddy owner...I know they are different..It looks like you have it under control...I have the reproduction McVeys sombreros on my 49......great product...

m_IMG_4457.JPG

EVL401 and Sprout like this.
  7. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Oh...hahaha... :)

fordflambe likes this.