Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac rear end interchange...OLDs Pontiac???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Jul 10, 2009.

1. I have a 3rd member style, limited slip rear end from a 1962 caddy...I cannot find any info on interchange, maybe there is none... Does anyone know? I want to find a ring and pinion gear set that is lower than the 3:30's presently in it. Maybe interchange with same era B.O.P.??? Any ideas????

2. Abomination

Abomination

I believe '59 - '64 Cadillac rears are all the same... and that if you're lucky and found one out of an Eldorado (best location for 'em) you might have a Posi! ;)

They're REAL close to a Ford 9"... and raven61 says he thinks you MIGHT even be able to swap the center section of one.

~Jason

3. Thanks, Jason
    ...anyone have more info????

4. This rear came from a 4 door hardtop and there was a sticker on the inside of the trunk lid saying is a posi. ...Both wheels turn the same direction.

5. Abomination

Abomination

Man... I don't know if you're going to be able to find a lower gearset. I think lower gears were an Eldorado option though. '61 was the first year for the Cadillac posi, I do believe. it was like $53! :eek:

~Jason

6. Probably going to be less hassle to sell it to a restorer and buy a Ford 9" or later GM rear with the ratio you want.

7. Abomination

Abomination

True...

A mid - late '70s Town Car (like a '77 for example) has the same width, the same bolt pattern, and can be had in a factory rear disc. Not bad for a lowly Ford 9". ;)

~Jason