Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cadillac Flathead FED Build- The FlatCad Too!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 38FLATTIE, Sep 7, 2013.

1. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well I was able to make some progress tonight I narrowed up an 8 3/4 Chrysler housing I had and stabbed a center section in it then cut down some old broken axles I had laying around so I could at least make a roller out of it then fabbed up some mounting plates for the rear mounted up a set of wore out pie crust slicks on some old slot mags I had for some set up rollers and voila I now have a rear end tacked in place I also mounted they spindles I machined to accept some vintage 19" wire motorcycle wheels I scored awhile back on the 40 ford axle I'm using and as soon as I get a couple more pieces made I will be able to mount the front end in it and the digger will be a roller here are a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrome don't get ya home

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks like your moveing right along, Glad to see I'm not the only one who keeps a spotless shop:D Beth asked me how the hell do you work outa here, Told her it's easy I know where it all is, Either the floor or the bench:eek:, Keep up the good work ,, Tim Jones

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Dang wrenchbender, That thing is gonna be one cool digger. Always loved that chassis design.

4. Looks great so far!!!!!.................keep on keepin on!

5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for the good words Carl Tim and Tom you guys are an inspiration to me on this build after watching you guys build your cars a thought I gotta have one myself anywho I got the front suspension tacked in place last night still got a lot to do but at least it's sprung and Rollin now I'm gonna try to get this thing outside this weekend for some better pics in the daylight

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383926382.144330.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383926399.272532.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I was able to get the digger outside today for a few pics and maybe even sweep the shop up a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chrome don't get ya home

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's a great looking build you have going there. Looking forward to seeing it with the Cadillac Flathead in place.

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks I too am ready to see the caddy mill sitting in it better yet I'm ready to blast down the quarter mile in this thing

Chrome don't get ya home

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks good , Nice to be able to roll it around, Looks like you have a nice test pad right in front of the shop:D,, Tim Jones

10. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Looking good Bender:) Somebody just posted an odd video clip from Sweden, somebody filmed the first dragster the came to Sweden, ca 1964. Of course a dragmaster:) Can't find it on YT just FB, sorry.

K

Taildragger&fenderless

11. Yo Randy . . . just let me come crew with you when you race this dang thing! That would be some great fun now wouldn't it? Nice start to a really fun project - glad to see you getting this going. I'm sure I can help out with a thing or two, so keep me in mind.

Have a fantastic Turkey day!

12. Looking good Randy!!!!

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Kerry, dale , kjell thanks for the kind words I made a bit of progress this evening I had a friend of mine who has a machine shop prune off a 4-71 blower case I had and he dropped it off this afternoon so naturally I had to mock it up on the engine this evening and its gonna look real Bitchin in the digger he also made me some sleeves so I can get a alignment bar made to locate the engine Trans and rear end so hopefully I can get the motor and Trans mounts made this week and actually have it in the car there is some finish work to be done to the blower case but the majority of the work is done

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384746002.652121.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384746017.528969.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

14. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one word..AWESOME

15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks but I can't take all the credit there are many people behind the scenes that help our flatcad crew and if were not for them we wouldn't be where we are today

Dale you are welcome to come down here anytime and crew on this thing though it won't be as much work as the bonneville car it will be just as much fun just plan on a few extra days after bonneville to come to the hamb drags cause that's the target date for completion hopefully before that but you know how it is lmao

Chrome don't get ya home

16. Damn that looks Awsooomme.......

17. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I found ya! I say if it looks right it must be right................Yours looks right Randy, Build on. Rocky

18. Hey Randy:

I think we need to setup a traditional Vertex mag for your setup. Do you have an original distributor for me to look at? I have quite a stash of mags, so if it isn't a total cluster, why not setup a vertex on this bad boy and make it easy?

I'll donate one to your project - if I can come down and run with you and drink some beer together. :D

Let me know - gotta keep the FlatCad dream alive baby!

B&S

19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That would be awesome dale and actually I have and original dizzy but I also have a adapter and a Chevy msd that buddy brought down I would really rather run a mag to eliminate a battery

Chrome don't get ya home

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

There you go, Randy_just what we were talking about a couple of days ago!

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I know right lol

Chrome don't get ya home

22. A deal like that you can't beat with a happy stick!

23. What are you bastards discussing in my name . . . my guess it was not flattering now was it! No problem - I have thick skin. :D

24. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

D. If they don't want you, come and crew for me:D!
    I know several guys that title themselves Doc.
    So I think it would propjet to herby "knight" ya Doc.Hays:D!

K

Taildragger&fenderless

25. Now leave Randy's 'Happy Stick' out of this . . . yikes!

26. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hahaha dale we all know it will only take two hours to build right lmao

Chrome don't get ya home

27. Naw - now it is going to be 200! :D

You're now dealing with 'realistic Dale' -- no more sunshine for your to bask in!

28. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am anxious to see this project. I will be by as soon as I can start driving again. I had no idea that you had so much done. Hopefully I can help you with something.

John

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks John I'm sure I can use some help when I run this thing for sure seems like we have a pretty good system down helping Kerry with his digger.

I made a small bit o progress last night I got my alignment bar made and installed and was able to set the motor in the chassis I won't really be able to get the mounts made till I get the Trans adapter so I can make sure I have room for a starter and such but at least it's sitting in there instead of taking up room in the garage floor here are some pics

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386273303.318212.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386273321.283437.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386273404.766767.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

30. Yep, the procedure is good. So is your progress, NICE!!!

What sort of trans adapter are you going to use?