Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac / Buick caps on 52 Chev

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by striper, Sep 28, 2015.

1. striper

striper

Been searching but not finding exactly what I'm after. I have a 52 Chev and a few sets of caps that I'd eventually like to run. 1. Cad Sombreros, 2. 53 Cad, 3. 52 Buick. From my understanding none of those will fit stock Chevy wheels due to the shallow dish of the wheels and fairly bulbous centre.

What wheels are people using when running these caps on 49 - 52 Chev's? Obviously finding something a bit wider or with more offset would work but is going to reduce the wheel to fender gap which I'd prefer not to do. Is there a wheel with a flatter centre but similar offset to the stock wheels?

I am aware of the tech tricks to fit these caps using 15" trim rings, this is not my question. Just need to find the best wheel to use.

Thanks, Pete

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you might have some success with the type of wheels that used the fake wire wheel inserts. The had a concave center section. Also the 'white spokers' are concave centers. However, the latter are typically wider rims with some offset. But you might need some deeper offset to clear the rather long spindle/hub common to those Chevys.

Ray

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You already have them if you have '49-'53 wheels. Drill the rivets out & reverse the centers, then any cover with teeth fits.
    Wheelkid did an excellent tech on the operation - search it up ...

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '48 Cad in my youth, and swapped wheels (and tires) with my pal Teddy, for his '49 Chevy.
    My 8.20 X 15 fronts and Teddy's 6.70 X 15 rears...straight across. Lug patterns were the same, both cars had front coils cut, so... Instant 'Mad Rakes'! (5 lugs on 5" bolt circle)

Early Cad sombreros had teeth at the very outers of the caps, which caught at the outer rims of the wheels. Cad wheels were 5.75"-6" wide, (think the '47s were 5.75")
    Cad wheels and caps. Best way to go.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Certainly the centers can be reversed, as you point out. However, whether or not that will solve the OP's issue depends on the original backspacing of the wheel. If the wheel hub mounting surface is half the width of the wheel, reversing them gains nothing. One needs to either place the wheel on a flat surface and measure to the hub face, then turn the wheel over and do the same....or, use a straight edge and measure in the same manner.

Ray

6. striper

striper

OK. Thanks guys. I am getting the feeling there is not really a solution that doesn't involve either a wider wheel or a bigger offset. Either way it reduces my wheel to fender clearance. If that's the answer then I'll work with that.

7. 'Mo

'Mo

I haven't tried it myself. But I saw where someone had used a 15x6, flat centered "wagon" type wheel to gain some clearance for caps. It might be worth a look. (I doubt the Buicks will fit, but man, they're beautiful!) Even so, fender clearance will be tight.
    [​IMG]

As a Chevy owner, I'd like to know what you come up with.
    (I settled on stock wheels and 1955 Packard caps with center bullets.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  8. I have used those horrible looking white wheels with full covers on my Chevy (6-lug) , they are available in varoius widths (6" at least) and offsets, and have nothing to get in the way of the wheel cover. They are made here in Adelaide, but you should be able to get them from 4X4 or trailer supply places. Cheap too- about $60 ea.

9. striper

striper

This is definitely worth exploring before making any decision. Thanks.

10. image.jpg Instant hidden ugliness