Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac -54 question(s) help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedchop, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Guys,
    I just bought me a decent Cadillac 2 door Hardtop. It's a driver as is but I could use some parts quickly. I've fiddled before with easier cars (parts wise) and from what I can tell some parts are really hard to get.. or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Anyway, I could use some advice in where I can source the sought after parts. I also struggle with the correct denomination so Googling is a challenge :)

Looking for the vent window "pillar". The chrome part of the pillar is broken just an inch above where it goes into the door. Is it repairable at all? Can I use a 4 door pillar? someone mentioned that the 4 doors are taller?
    Also trying to find an un-molested window "flip-up" molding for the passenger side.
    Finally the rear fender, right hand piece where the exhaust exits. Mines all rusted..

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks/ Speedy

2. CadMad

CadMad

i saw a vent wing on ebay yest. most stuff you need you will find there.

3. 53 ford

53 ford

Honest John's Caddy Corner 940 648 3330

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It can be IF you can find someone that can weld pot metal...that's what it is made of and not the easiest to repair. Finding those are becoming a challenge as most of them break from improper adjustment. 1954/'55/'56 Cadillac two door hardtop pillars are all the same. Buick Roadmaster two door hardtops of the same years are Cadillac parts.

NO, the four door pillar is entirely different...GM did not make a four door hardtop in 1954.

Those might be the easiest to find...ANY '54/'55'56 flip up molding will be the same and Buick will work.

Typical Cadillac...they all rusted out there and they are hard to find items and very expensive IF you can find them (and those that have them KNOW what they fit...!!!). 1954 and '55 Cadillac are the same...

I do have some '54/'55 Cadillac parts IF you should need other things...PM me if you have a list...

Hope that helps...

R-

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

5. 48 stylemaster

48 stylemaster
    from Canada

Just picked up a copy of hemmings motor news october and there is a whole page dedicated to cadillac parts and vendors

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Ok, thanks guys!! Much appreciated :) I think the pillar is most urgent so I need to go fishing. Anyone got one lying around? I'm thinking of dropping it moderately in the rear and I trust there are no kits around.. Can one survive a 2 or 3" drop using some sort of universal parts?

Thanks/ Speedy

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I used 3" lowering blocks in the rear of my '55 (avatar) and have plenty of travel-no drive-shaft rubbing at all...3" is not extreme...just make sure you get longer U-bolts to hold it in...available at most speed shops and on-line...

R-

8. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

I'm about to swap my alloys (which look like crap anyway) for some steel wheels and wide whites. Got a counter question from the tyre shop if I have 5x5 or 5x5,5!? I'm convinced that it's 5x5 but I thought I'd run the assumption through u guys. Am I right? I'm not overdoing the wheel thing. Just want the car to look right with enough 15 inch rubber to fill the wheel wells reasonably. Thinking of 7" rims but I'm not sure about backspacing. I'm running skirts. Any advice? I'm shipping from the US so whatever I can do to assure fitment is welcome.

Again - thanks in advance!

Cheers/ Speedy

9. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Anyone?
    I know I bore u with noob questions but please be patient :)

Cheers/ Speedy

10. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I might have an extra vent window pillar. What side do you need? Keep checking ebay for the door flipper, they pop up on there every now and then. The bumper end rot on all these cars. Very expensive if you can find a nice replacement. It may be cheaper if you have the skills to rebuild the one you have and rechrome it. PM me about the window pillar. I have a bunch of other 54 parts if needed.

11. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

12. Squablow

Squablow

7" wide wheels really didn't become available until the late 60's, and there are few WWW tires available to fit that width, plus you may run into rubbing issues if you run fender skirts, especially lowered. Consider a 5.5" or 6" wide wheel and maybe a 7.10-15" tire. Too small of a tire diameter might look odd on such a big car.

13. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Ok
    Tyre shop suggests 6 inch with a 235-70 o 75 profile and it sounds about right. What about the PCD? I'm getting gremlins in my head about the 5x5 or 5x5,5 question...

Thanks/ Jonas

14. Slopok

Slopok

I think the tire shop is asking you what bolt circle you have is it 5x5 or 5x51/2? Are you buying new wheels? If so your bolt circle is 5x5. Now go put those Gremlins to bed!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  15. Eaton has a hot rod line of springs. A bit more expensive than lowering blocks, but they are made to original GM specs, and work well.
    Look on their web site for add'l info

16. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

17. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Thanks guys! I'll look in to it :) looong winter coming in Sweden so plenty of time for improvements!

Cheers/ J

18. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

BTW: heres a pic of the Cad!

Cad.jpg

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Decent looking Cad...other than the wheels and the flat black...!!!

R-

20. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Agree.. Wheels are in the works but I dunno 'bout paint yet.. Flat black sucks and I can dig the rockabilly style but not on a car like this. It's two-tone green originally and the interior is still in good shape (green). Thinking on off-white or perhaps a white pearl. Maybe this type of car should have a pastel color :) It's completely rust free so painting it would be a moderate challenge - not much work apart from stripping the car. the rest is on the painter. I guess it's just a question of "pay up sucker" :)

Cheers/ J

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, wheels/tires are easy...paint and body not so much...my '55 was two tone green as well...most the Caddys I've seen were that color as well...including my brother's '54...here's a pic of his: Dan Jetter.jpg
    As you can see we did some mods to the scoop and added another piece of chrome to the rear quarter...oh, and changed the grille...stock 331"/Hydramatic that gets 20-21 mpg on the highway at 70 mph ...

We just finished this trip a few weeks ago:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-cadillac-of-travelogues-canada-road-trip.943262/

R-

22. Slopok

Slopok

Looks like it's straight enough to shoot gloss black no?

23. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

If I was that lucky.. Previous owner shot this paintjob and went a tad too thick so I've got a funky orange peel feeling going on the car. I could go Black and that would require less of an effort compared to switching color. However, I don't think black is doing the car justice.

BTW: your brothers ride sure is sweet!!

/J