Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac 390 oil pump parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rgrhoward, Aug 20, 2020.

1. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

I am getting ready to rebuild the oil pump for a '59 Cadillac 390 I picked up for my hotrod.

Egge offers a rebuild kit for $220.

Caddy Daddy offers a rebuild kit for $99.

Both are 5 piece kits, anyone have any experience with either? Wonder if they are the same kit just rebranded?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Maybe my experiences with the '55-'8 Pontiac pump would be of value...
    When they went to the larger crank in '59, the pump got somewhat shorter & slightly changed so the new pump will not fit the old block :(
    The good Gnus is that the modern guts fit the old pump. If the bores are OK, a thorough inspection & clean up and parts swap will put you back on the track..
    Whoz your Caddy Daddy!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I used a melling rebuild kit K58B . Was about $100 I believe.

rgrhoward and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

That’s the same part number of Egge. I bet there kit is a rebranded melling with a $120 markup!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I put a Melling kit in the oil pump for my 390 checking all the clearances as I went. It felt very rough when assembled so I pulled it back apart and stoned all the sharp edges off of the rotors which helped some. It works ok, but pressure is lower than I'd like; if I had to do it over I would build a test stand and check out-put and pressure in operation before installing it.

To my knowledge no one is building new pumps or even the cover plate for them.

6. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Yeah, I do not know of anyone selling a new pump. Egge will rebuild a pump if you send it to them but I do not know the price.