Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac 390 engine, warming up the heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaseballs, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

I just picked up a 1961 Cadillac 390 engine to transplant into my '56 Coupe DeVille.

The 390 needs a rebuild, so I am looking to warm up the heads with some better parts.

I want to upgrade the valve train, but not sure on the specifics behind the components. I've read that the Chevy valves are a good upgrade and Studebaker adjustable rocker arms are just about required. But I have no specifics.

I'm hoping someone here can help.

What Studebaker (or aftermarket?) adjustable rocker arms should be used?
    What are the Chevy valves to use?
    What lifters and pushrods should be used?
    And a good cam recommendation. At this time, the plan is to leave the car's stock tranny and rear in place.

Thanks in advance

2. Any Studebaker V8 or I6 will have the adjustable rockers you need. All you
    need are the rockers, they will fit the Caddy shafts.

3. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Any recommendations on a source for these parts is also appreciated.

4. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

If you do any kind of decent cam in it, you'll have to lose the hydraulic lifters. You can use SBC solid lifters. For pushrods you can either make some custom length rods, or use adjustables (SBC.)

Yes, you can use the Studebaker rockers only. Install them on your stock Caddy shafts.

Dont have experience reworking the 390 heads very much, so can't comment on which valves work best.

-scott noteboom

5. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

I was thinking this might be the case......
    going to solid lifters is ok

Wow, never new the lifter bores for the SBC were the wame for these Cadillac engines. When I rip the engine down, I'll be measuring up the lifters/bores to verify that. Thanks for all the help so far

Has anyone here actually built one if these engines with the parts that we are discussing in this thread?

6. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

I'm also interested in what valves etc. I've got a set lined up to go on my 365.

7. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

This is great..... more interest in this project!
    I'm sure there are others here that know what to do with these engines to make them scream

8. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

I'm in the process right now. Will fill you in with any challenges. Right now just finishing gathering all the parts.

-scott noteboom

9. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Thanks for being my guinea pig! lol....
    Care to let us know the details on the parts you have gathered?

Thanks!

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I read in an old Hot Rod annual that GMC six rocker arms are also adaptable to early Cadillacs. I'll have to dig out the Jimmy rocker setup I've got buried somewhere in my garage and check it out.

11. Here's the S2D rockers

12. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Here's my setup im working on:

- Stock 390 motor with about 40,000 miles.
    - Rebuilt the top end. Heads are still stock '60 390 casts.
    - Old Isky camshaft (mild, dont remember lift/duration off top of head right now)
    - Mellings Small Block Chevy solid lifters
    - SBC custom lengthed solid pushrods
    - S2D rocker arms on stock Caddy shaft assembly
    - Custom built headers with dual straight exhaust
    - Detroit Racing Equipment 2x4 intake
    - Dual 350cfm 4bbl Stromberg carbs
    - Vertex magneto ignition
    - Edmunds valve covers w/ breathers
    - O'Brien Truckers valley cover

I'm excited to get this complete. Its for my '60 Caddy (series 62.)

Thanks,

-scott noteboom

13. Greaseballs

Greaseballs

Scott,

I'll be interested to know if those Edmunds valve covers will fit with the S2D rocker arms. What are the part numbers on those S2D rocker arms?

Where did you get that ignition, valley cover, and valve covers from? Are those parts still being produced?

Thanks for the help!!

14. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

The Edmunds covers look to be deeper than stock, so im thinking they will fit just fine...

I dont have the S2D rocker arm part number, as I havent yet found them yet. I do have the year necessary, which i'll post when i look it up to confirm. I also havent gotten the sbc pushrods, which are readily available. Other that those items, im set for parts.

I bought the valley cover off ebay recently. The valve covers and magneto I've collected over the years (myself and family have been into Caddy's for a long time.)

Only slight bummer is the DRE 2x4 is going to be very tight in the engine compartment, and i dont think the original aircleaner setup is going to clear. Thus, i'll have to find some low profile other cleaners. There is no way that im cutting the hood on a '60 Caddy, as that look just wont be right.

Finishing this part of the project up will become important as soon as I get the car back from paint.

-scott noteboom

15. Radio Flyer

Radio Flyer

I've been "told" (that sets this up for some doubt I know) that the only covers that will clear adjustable rockers on the early Cad mills are the Edelbrock and Hildebrant......been "told" the Edmunds, Moon, and Offy covers aren't quite deep enough.....Can't say for 100% certain.....hope I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Dan-

16. double gaskets!

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's one of the advantages of Studebaker rockers. The adjusters stick out the bottom of the arm, rather than out the top like most aftermarket arms did.

18. Greaseballs: Have you searched the Archives? There's a well-read and often-posted thread in there by Marcus from a few years back that covers a lot of this stuff.