Register now to get rid of these ads!

Caddy intake on a Stude Hawk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrlemke, Oct 4, 2010.

1. jrlemke

jrlemke

I want to put tri-power on my 61 Hawk. I think an aftermarket Caddy intake should be easier to find than a Studebaker. What year/size Caddy can be modified to fit and what is required? Thanks Jim

2. You can make it work, but the ports don't line up very well, probably off by 1/8". I had a 57 ElDorado 3X2 on my Stude 289 for years, ran great. and looked good. Swapped it for a STU-V 2X2 a couple of months ago.

The Stude intake bolts are further inboard by about 1/4" It's not just a matter of "Ovaling a couple holes" like I was told.
    When I machined mine the bolt holes were fine, but when I counterbored it went into 3 of the runners. Had to teach myself how to braze to fix the problem.

I just happen to have a couple pictures after the braze, coincidentally, make sure you get ALL the grease out of the inside of the intake before pre-heating it in the kitchen oven.....There's lots of smoke.

Do a search too, there might be a couple threads about this already.

Attached Files:

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you need to go to a lot of trouble to convert a Cad manifold, would it be easier to make a Stude two bbl. manifold into a three two with weld in adapters?