Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Caddy Dip Stick info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barrelnose pickup, Mar 14, 2020.

1. I’m about to run a rebuilt motor built from parts and have a problem.
    Could someone please give me some measurements of a 57 Cad dip stick and tube.
    I have a few Cad motors( thinking I could use one off the others) but didn’t realise the dip sticks were different,even on either side depending on the year.
    The one I’ve built is a 57 as said and the stick is on the passengers side(in the US).
    What I need is the length of the stick and measurements from the stop washer/cover down to the Low/Full lines and the length of the tube itself from the block.
    Hoping someone could get me a picture of the stick with a tape along side it .
    Thanks in advance ,
    Chris

2. I don't know if this will help you, a fellow I know broke his tube off and I suggested
    using whatever tube would fit.
    Drain all oil from the block and refill with the required amount.
    See where the oil level registers on the new stick and make a mark.
    Just a thought.

3. Thanks for the suggestion, if worst comes to it I’ll have to go down that path but hopefully someone can help me with the correct measurements.
    Thanks again though .

loudbang likes this.
  4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can do this Monday. Got a 57 cad motor sitting in the shop.

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.

5. ^^^^Thank you very much, it would be much appreciated,
    Chris

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Having the same issue with my 53 CDV 331 , put the 5 quarts in and still reads over a quart low

7. Yeah that’s why I want to try and get this right, still surprised there are so many differences in the same style blocks.

8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

According to all the manuals I have my 61 390 holds 4 quarts . I thought this was odd but sure as s#&% after putting in 4 quarts and pre lubing the engine the factory drivers side dipstick read full. Chris I know this doesn't Answer your 365 question. But Maybe look at the factory specs for a 57 and fill and prelube the engine and mark your own dipstick?

9. Hey Lumpy,
    Yeah, I have the same info, yours is 4 qrts , mine is 5 qrts.
    I had a win tonight, I put 5 in and primed the motor with a battery drill and it bled up beautifully. Buttoned up the rocker covers and valley cover, had to lightly file the distributor intermediate shaft flats to engage it in the oil pump fully without forcing it and fit the distributor.
    Once I can get the dipstick info and get it sorted she’ll be ready to fire. I could do as you suggest but a little patience and it will be right and I won’t die wondering.
    Cheers

lumpy 63 likes this.
  10. 42merc

42merc

Here is the answer to your question. '57 Cadillac.
    Tube, from block surface to top of tube - 8.750"
    Stick, from flange to end - 22" even.
    Flange (stop) to full - 17.750"
    Flange (stop) to add - 18.625"
    All numbers + or - , .0625
    Enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  11. Thanks very much,
    Much appreciated,
    Chris

kadillackid likes this.
  12. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Slow to the game here, but here are some pictures. The tube itself is 10" from opening to where it enters the block. 20200316_120751.jpg 20200316_120803.jpg

Attached Files:

Ron Funkhouser and Dave Mc like this.
  13. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

20200316_120839.jpg Not sure why the last file did that. I resized it, here it is again. Hope it helps, if not, I have more pictures. I pulled this engine from a 1957 Series 62 that was very much original. It's not anymore. The rest is off topic though.

Ron Funkhouser and Dave Mc like this.
  14. Cheers Shivasdad, your bloods worth bottling, this is exactly what I needed.
    Chris

15. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Hey man, I usually get paid for this, but there's a cad Lincoln salvage in OK, they should have the dipstick & tube ya want..aabars.....