Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Caddy 472

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Nov 30, 2016.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gm made a big mistake going to that aluminum pos that replaced that line of engines.

2. Earlier ones are definitely the traditional caddy engines and appearance is much better also. I think you are dead on with going with the pre emissions 472. They were the more powerful ones.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a '65 Coupe DeVille with a 429. Totally different engine but that thing made great power! Surprised a few guys with the burnouts that tank would do.

4. khead47

khead47

A guy ran a 1970 Coupe DeVille over 200 mph at Wilmington!

5. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I have one in my 28 its a runner but there not the prettiest motor ..

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

The single best change on any of the 472 and 500 Caddy engines is the intake. An aftermarket aluminum unit will take 30 lbs off the front at the same time it will change the intake runners from an uphill / flat flow into the heads to a downhill flow. Changes recommended after that would be a better cam and springs (torque) and headers. The header may have to be fabricated but that's not that hard either as The Cad Company offers a flange kit and you can modify headers to fit... Not the cheapest build but in the end you have something different and with an aluminum intake - almost 500 cubes in a a package just a touch heavier than a sbc - have fun !!

Good site here:
    http://www.500cid.com/

loudbang likes this.
  7. I have a 472 from 1969 to go into my 1954 Willys jeep:cool:

Racer29 likes this.
  8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

To make engine swaps easy you can even get a rear sump oil pan. Just get an oil pan, oil pump pick up tube, and dipstick from a front wheel drive car. When scrounging for parts, besides the 472/500 engines you can also take parts from the later 425ci engines (1977-79) and the later 368ci (1980/81) engines and later commercial chassis.

Bobby

loudbang likes this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1612.JPG
    472 in this, with a limited slip rear, was more than I could keep up with with the '35 Dodge steering. It liked to go sideways.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. BrianInPa

BrianInPa
    from Milton

I'm putting a 472 in a 65 chevy short fleetside. I still have a lot of work to do on the truck, but hoping to have it on the road in the spring.

11. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I have a 68 472 in my avatar truck. Love it and I think they can look pretty cool with some thought. The front mounted distributor helps with swaps for sure. Torque rules!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. desotot

desotot

I have a 73 500 with a steel flywheel and Lakewood bellhousing waiting for a project of some sort

13. I called Cad company up to buy an intake and they talked me out of it because I wasn't doing the heads. My backup 472 is getting heads, cam, intake and valve train.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  14. scotts52

scotts52

I'd take it if it's free. I love all kinds of engines.

loudbang likes this.
  15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Well, after 8 months, I picked my short block up from the machine shop yesterday. I picked up the completed heads about 3 weeks back. All brackets and bolts have been sandblasted so it's finally time to start painting and assembly. It's a good Christmas gift.

loudbang likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Had one in a 78 Malibu . Was my daily driver,with a 2.29 gear it ran high 13's and got 18 mpg.
    Used a maximum Torque cam and 440 Chrysler valve springs with the guide bosses cut down.
    Ported the heads and exhaust manifolds,ran a Qjet carb with stock convertor.
    Also had one in a 72 1/2 ton Chev. p.u. It pulled our dirt track car and trailer great.

loudbang and MO_JUNK like this.
  17. Saxxon

Saxxon

Won't try to argue the point too hard as they make a living doing caddy stuff and I don't. But you have to consider the advantages of dropping weight off the front end as well as a raised carb position vs. the flat and uphill intakes that came stock. I've always like the caddy stuff. big cubes for cheap. We did a few G body swaps over the years using a junk yard 472 or 500 with an intake and cam swap. These things ran low 13's high 12's depending on the weight.

Your caddy adventures sound like fun...

loudbang and MO_JUNK like this.
  18. This car/engine combo has been a hoot. Been running it for 13 years and never had engine apart since initial rebuild. It's such a deceiving combination. It's not loud and dramatic but hooks hard off the line and consistently lays down impressive times at the track. Yet I can hop in and drive it anywhere and that to me has to be part of the deal.

I was a little confused also that he wouldn't advise buying the intake unless doing heads. I don't doubt the advantage of the new intake in the least. My sedan ran a best 13 flat with all stock parts. With an aluminum intake the weight of the Caddy is real close to the SBC. I am hoping to run 10.90s with my other engine. The car needs some safety items addressed first though.

Jibs, loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  19. Jibs

Jibs

Were you trying to buy their MTS intake? The MTS intake is better for a modified engine. Edelbrock intake is more for a street driven car, buy the Edelbrock you will not be disappointed. Edelbrock is part # 2115 Jegs for around $350.00.

loudbang likes this.
  20. I was wanting to buy the Edelbrock. I am still going to when I start on my other 472. Do you have it on yours? What was the most noticeable improvement?

loudbang likes this.
  21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I've been toying with the Edelbrock intake and/or the intake camshaft combo. Anything has to be in improvement over the factory original. I'm also toying with fuel injection. I have an original factory port fuel injection set-up that just needs the adaptation of some modern electronics.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Edelbrock set-up?

Bobby

22. Jibs

Jibs

"I was wanting to buy the Edelbrock. I am still going to when I start on my other 472. Do you have it on yours? What was the most noticeable improvement?"

I have the Edelbrock on my 47 Chevy with a 472 with a Lunati cam. I noticed an improvement in low rpm response. I have a MTS intake for my Essex with a 500 with a MTS cam it will be modified more than the 472.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  23. 472 in a 53 ford need lots of radiator DSCN0877.JPG DSCN0765.JPG

500 in 50 buick IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0231.JPG

but then I work a Cadillac in the 80 so I am partial to the big engines there surprising light to

Attached Files:

wsdad, MO_JUNK and loudbang like this.