Register now to get rid of these ads!

cad lasalle behind a flathead??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russ Gaylord Fontana, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Russ Gaylord Fontana

Russ Gaylord Fontana
    from Home

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of cad lasalle transmissions, I'm considering swapping one into my sprint car instead of the Ford '39 box. I've been told that there tougher and have a quicker shift. It's already been converted to torque tube and has a flathead bellhousing adaptor, but any ideas on this would be appreciated.
    <!-- / message -->

2. R Pope

R Pope

That used to be the hot setup, when there was nothing better available. Lots of better choices out there now, but if you have one and it doesn't need any hard-to-find repairs, it will work. If you bust it the parts might be hard to find.

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Since it's already set up for a torque tube and ready to bolt to your Flathead, what's the question? It's much stouter than the the Ford box and it's highly unlikely that you'll ever break it. You say you want to put it in a sprint car-I have to assume it's for vintage racing or the street. In neither case do I see any risk. All the other proposed solutions don't recognize what you're trying to accomplish: like keeping the torque tube.

303racer likes this.
  4. Russ Gaylord Fontana

Russ Gaylord Fontana
    from Home

Thanks Dale, It's for vintage racing, appreciate the help!!

5. Sounds bad ass, may we see?

6. Russ Gaylord Fontana

Russ Gaylord Fontana
    from Home

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Cool car. I've got a tranny if you need one.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Even though you have the correct bellhousing, and the back has been converted to a torquetube, it's probably not a "bolt-in". The Lasalle trannys were longer. I think that whole assembly is about 2 inches longer than an old Ford trans. Get out the tape measure before you commit, cause you may need to move your crossmember and shorten the TT.

9. as far as strength is concerned, a 37-39 Lasalle is more then enuff....i have one behind a very stout early model oldsmobile in a 2700 pound car and ive done about everything you can to blow it..it still keeps on gettin it. Alchemy is right check the tailshaft length because they do vary...good luck...

T. Hilton

10. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

if the trans is adapted go for it, a car that has that " look" needs to use vintage parts!.
    You in the UK? going to do Shelsey etc? If so i look forward to seeing pics of it in action.
    James Corbett,An Artist from Australia who is having an exhibiton in London at the moment built this and races it very successfullty down here. The rules are pretty strict,no later components from beyond the cars era.
    [​IMG]