Register now to get rid of these ads!

CAD,DWG,DXF files of frames, bodies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Dec 9, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Is there any source for these types of files with regards to engines,frames, suspension components, and early car bodies? Seems like it would make getting a setup right a lot easier, and you could see how it all looks once together to see stance, fit, etc.

For instance, if I had the side layout for '32 rails, 3" dropped axle, 9" rear, and a '32 3 window, I could set the channel, chop, angles, engine, ride height, etc and see how it all looks. Even if they were simple outline drawings, it would help.

If there isn't a common library for these items, maybe we should start one....
    I am proficient in Illustrator, I could start doing some drawings, but I'd need basic dimensions, and a common scale, say 1"=1'
    Mark

2. I can Email you an Autocad "dwg" file of a small block Chevy if that would help.

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Yeah, that would.
    I think what I will do is start drawing these things out , and compiling them. Maybe sometime someone will host them for download from here.

4. The big hotrod shops have all the CAD stuff. I know of one in particular the builds Willys. I really don't think any of 'em would give files away so people could build their stuff for free.

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

Someone posted them here about a year ago and they went in Tech archives. I remember a '32 frame. I'm short of time now so post a link when you find them. For those without Autocad, if you attempt to open it your computer should find cadviewer (free) for you.

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Brianangus was who posted all that, if I recall. There were several involved but the put a suspension and a full small block together with that frame.

7. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

8. I posted a lot of 3D cad stuff, but the stuff I posted was not something that you can use with 2D Autocad format. I used to work with Autocad .dwg files, but the industry has moved on now to the point where you need to work in 3D solid models to stay competitive. I use Solidworks software. www.rupnowdesign.com

9. 40Tudor

40Tudor

10. WrazedWrong

WrazedWrong

Can you email me that file too?
    Is it an autocad 14 file?
    My email [email protected]

11. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Are there any inexpensive or better yet freeware programs that let you mess with this stuff?

12. Yep....r14. It's in your Email box,

SJF

13. Are there any inexpensive or better yet freeware programs that let you mess with this stuff?

You can download free programs to view it, but they will not let you alter the files nor manipulate them. You either need a copy of the licensed software, or a pirate copy of it to do that.

14. junkmonger

junkmonger

15. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Thanks for the info. I think my daughter would qualify for he student copy of AutoCad. Either that or I'll try intellicad.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Can you send me the cad drawing of the SBC, please... thanks, Chaz