Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CAD Drawing Alternator Bracket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jchev1953, Dec 28, 2018.

1. I’m converting my 1953 Chevrolet 210 235 from 6 volt to 12 volt this winter. I know I can buy an Alternator Bracket but I’d like to make one in a machining class I’m taking this semester.

If any one has CAD drawing or a drawing with dimensions in any computer format I’d appreciate a copy.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe you could also learn some design, while you're at it? That's where the money is, after all :)

Take off the generator, measure the bolt holes on the block, figure out where the alternator need to be to make the belt line up right, and figure out how long the bracket needs to be, and the spacing between the two arms. Use the 250 six style bracket as an example of the shape. Understand how the spacer sleeve works, it's a light press fit in the bracket.

alt.jpg

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think drawing up the plan for it would be part of getting a few points in the class.
    The alternator will mount to the stock generator bracket when you put a spacer between it and the back bracket and use a long bolt through it. I've done a few like that but the rub is that you don't have a lot of adjustment room and moving the mounting point out a bit from the block should give you more room for adjustment. This is one I did about 38 years ago with the stock generator bracket. The main issue is that the mounting ears for the alternator hit the generator bracket and limit the movement to the inside. That is about 20 years worth of dirt on it. One of my students who worked on the build of the truck bought it from the folks we built it for a few months ago and has it all cleaned up and running and driving now.
    235 with alt.jpg 235 with alt side.jpg

4. Draw it up on graph paper in full-scale. Go with what the 2 previous posts say. I like to make a working "model" out of cardboard or thin plywood when I get the design close. Can you do 3D printing in school? We use this at work to test out tool concepts before having the machining done.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The first step in learning how to do something for yourself is to stop asking people to do your work or research for you............

Paul likes this.
  6. I was maybe all of 9 and my school library had a big biography sections, famous people, presidents, sports people, inventors. I read a book on the Wright Brothers. They mentioned how important it was to make a drawing of something before making the part, if it is right on paper, the product will be good. So that always stuck with me.

Rehpotsirhcj and Frankie47 like this.