Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cab's 1927 T Roadster Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, May 28, 2009.

1. Nice.....Look forward to seeing it soon

2. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Killer story at H&H.

3. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

well.....here's the flattie at my shop ready to go into hibernation with its new nailhead friend.

Stevie, if youre reading this.....I'm holding this motor hostage. Ransom...one beezer.

[​IMG]

4. Nice pair Scotty...

5. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks a bunch Piero
    I'm trying to do my best cause i wanna be in the next MFS video:)

Yea, Scotty
    Thanks for opening the shop so i could drop it off last night. Long drive, but well worth having it close to the frame it's going in next.

Andrew
    The guys at H & H are really cool guys, Mike really knows his stuff and i'm super honored to have been able to have the privilege to go there and do what i did. I don't think many people, if any, have been able build their own motor there, so i know this was pretty special for me, plus i learned so much too while i was there and some flathead history too.

JeffreyJames
    Your welcome on the tutorial, it's not finished yet, got day #2 and #3 to post still, but i'm stoked to be able to have this to offer back to the HAMB, because if it wasn't for this website, i wouldn't have as much knowledge about hot rods as i do today. This website is the reason why this Build is going the way it's going, because of all it's influence and all the people who are willing to help others learn this trade and all the history about each era as well, Love the HAMB!

Bad Bob
    thanks for the support, in my profession, it's the sole reason i'm able to afford this crazy $ hobby we all enjoy.
    If i was a pirate, i'd be called Grey Beard too:)
    As for the finish date, don't have one, don't need the stress on this build as i see most builders go through just to make a deadline.

j ripper it's because of you i'm running that intake, thanks for the influence, i appreciate your input since you know what i like... bummed you got rid of that black coupe, that A rocked.

SKOTY
    Thanks brotha, can't wait for you to come up and visit the shop, you'll be stoked. Scotty's got some really cool projects going on there. Have fun at Primer Nationals this weekend, wish i was going.

Dave
    I'm looking forward for someday that you can shoot it and you can really make it look good with your photographic and creative expertise my friend!

35mastr
    Thanks for peeping this thread build, the H & H story is not done yet... i still have day #2 and #3 to post next, so please stay tuned:)

Grace and peace†
    cab

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. Awww shucks, you make me blush....

Lemme know when your going up there next, I'm off Tuesdays & Wednesdays for the time being...

7. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet Steve you are living the dream Bro....Congrats on the beautiful Motor...I know you have to be excited....! God Bless..

8. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

Steve your truck is really coming along. it is going to look great with that flattie sitting between the rails. i cant wait to see the rest of your biuld.

-Jim

9. pcterm2

pcterm2

that thing is going to be wickedly cool

10. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

UPDATE #7
    Day two at H & H Flatheads- building up my 59 AB flathead with Mike Herman

Well, i got a two hour late start the next day because i was so exhausted from the previous 6hr drive and 10hr work day the day before, so i got there at 8:30 am.

Upon arrival, Mike had already set the spark plugs in the heads and handed me these two rusty items ( radiator fan w/pulley & original stock spark plug wire looms) and sent me directly to the sand blasting box to bring them back to life and boy did they come back!

[​IMG]

After cleaning up both items, i mocked up the looms on the intake studs and one of the looms had to have the two mounting tabs re-adjusted to fit my pre-war intake:( So i ground off the tabs on the drivers side of the motor, marked the new position and had them re-welding on by one of his employees named Tom (great guy by the way and very helpful), then i took a sander to them to clean them up and back into the sand blasting box.

Once i set them in position they were ready for paint.

Mike proceeded to mount one of the new water pumps he supplied (Bob Drakes production style), then i knocked out the other one.

[​IMG]

Radiator fan and spark plug wire looms hung out to dry!

[​IMG]

Once all the paint was dry, i mounted them onto the intake. A very tight but nice fit on both sides. Mike also set me up with a cleaner looking linkage set up for the pair of 97's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile... i was in dire need of an old style distributer to keep that vintage look, so Mike found a used one out in his pile of gems, and his dad ( Max Herman) offered to rebuild it for me with new guts and a brand new crab style cap.

[​IMG]

Next, Mike supplied me with breather (which i also had to clean up in the sand box) and a brand new filler cap. I decided to go with an electric fuel pump ( i know, let the bashing begin) but He recommended that my flathead would love it more compared to an old stock one that can clog up and break a lot easier. The pump will be hidden underneath the frame.

[​IMG]

With a pair of needle nosed pliers, i continued to take the cloth wrapped spark plug wires and feed them through each of the looms one at a time till all 8 were in and resting near each spark plug.

[​IMG]

Mike found the proper sized fan belt and attached it to the 12 volt generator, both water pumps and bottom pully.

[​IMG]

After Max senior, finished building the distributor, Mike mounted it and attached the wires in their proper firing sequence, which i had no clue what that was regarding the spark to the engine.

[​IMG]

Next... i attached the cool looking tips to all the spark plug wires and plugged them all in and she was ready to go!

[​IMG]

As Mike attached the engine to the hoist up above the work bench, off it went to the test stand as we were getting very close to hearing this thing run finally. Once in the stand, we rolled it out side for it first test run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike noticed that one of the carbs floats was stuck as he turned the gas on and it started to splatter, but with just a small screw driver and bending a tab back, it was fixed in no time.

[​IMG]

Okay, so after everything had been hooked up, the engine filled with oil, now came the fun part and we were ready for the final test to see if it would start! video below ( turn up the volume)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/cabphotos/flatheadfirstrun.flv">

One word... stoked. Mike still wasn't satisfied how it sounded, so we made some more adjustments the next day since I had one more day to fine-tune the motor. We called it a day and left to get some rest for an early start before my long drive home.
    Thanks again everyone and best wishes,
    cab

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

hows the oil pressure???

12. brainfrz

brainfrz

great follow-ups. Glad it was successful trip. Nice work H&H!

13. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Wow, Cab, the mill looks and sounds great!
    I hate the fact that I am such a hot rod dork that I know this piece of trivia, but the neon lights on Flo's V8 Cafe in the movie "Cars" flash in the proper firing order for a Ford flathead V8. (Ok, I said it). DD

14. Coupe-De-CAB (& Chuckles Garage) ... the RPU is gonna be a very cool! ... the frame and flattie are way bitchin' !!!! ... keep the updates coming.

NOTE: Earlier today, my (skateboarder) nephew showed me the video of the flatmotor on Steve's website ... and I figured there might be a thread on the HAMB about it ... sure enough, yet another (very well done) build thread that I somehow missed.

15. flatties rule. awesome!!!

16. brady1929

brady1929

love flatheads and how they sound

17. McFly

McFly

Looking good Steve...the flattie is like a fine piece of jewelry. Congrats!

18. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

How about trying to hand crank over an old rusted engine with the spark plugs still in the heads... any luck:)

19. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Cab,The motor sounded excellent. I cant wait to see it sitting in the RPU.

I need to check this build out when I am in the area.

20. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

UPDATE #8
    Day three at H & H Flatheads- building up my 59 AB flathead with Mike Herman

Okay, so when i got there at 6:30am on the last day, we pulled the motor outside and we ended up taking the intake off. Mike said, when we first ran the motor he heard a clanking noise he didn't like, that some of the valve guides may be loose and would need adjusting.

[​IMG]

looking inside for further inspection.

[​IMG]

Mike showed me how to do on the first one and explained how much space should be in between each one, then handed me these tools; a feeler gauge, wrench, screw driver and a marker. Then i finished the rest and they all needed a bit of tightening, but not much.

[​IMG]

After i was finished, we put the intake back on, then Mike hooked up the radiator so we could run the motor longer to hear what else needed adjusting while being able to stay cool as well. He also handed me a torque wrench so i could torque down the nuts on the Navarro heads for a second time after running the engine for awhile.

[​IMG]

Mike's dad (Max) stepped in to fine-tune and dial-in the carbs for me, he also worked on the timing of the distributor too. Max is awesome and was really quick at getting this motor to sound and run efficiently, all his help was very much appreciated on my part!

[​IMG]

Later that day, Mike asked if i wanted to learn how to tear down a short block to a bare block and i said... no problem, let's do this!

So once again, he gave me the how- to- lesson, then handed me all the tools to complete the job and here's where i began to sweat bullets inside his shop as i pulled all the pistons, guides, cam shaft, all the metal bushings and the large heavy crank out of it:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done and ready for the next step...

[​IMG]

After that, Mike had said i was lucky he didn't give me a much tougher one to crack open, one that was rusted and seized:( He then attached the bare block to another engine hoist above and set it on the hot tank tray and i proceeded to load it in for it's first wash. This thing is like a giant washing machine for engine parts... pretty cool.

[​IMG]

Once that job was complete, we headed back outside so we could mount the fan and the 2nd belt to the front of the engine. I then later switched out his electric ignition for the 12 volt starter i had brought with me that i painted black the day before.

[​IMG]

Now, it was time for me to be on my way home, so Mike took one last photo together with the completed 59AB motor and one very happy & satisfied customer... that would be me:)

[​IMG]

Boy, what an experience that will last a life time and i'll never forget! It still amazes me that i got the opportunity to do this at H & H flatheads. Mike, Max, Max jr. Tom and Shawn, I cannot thank you enough for all your time, help and experience you guys shared with me that i know have an even more appreciation for Flatheads and how they work. These motors rock and i am no longer afraid of them. SBC... never gonna run one again:(

Here ya see my new motor loaded up in my truck and ready for our long Journey home up to San Jose, then to Santa Rosa, where it now resides at Chuckles Garage waiting for my frame to get finished. As i drove home all i could do was keep looking in the rear view mirror with the biggest grin on my face, made the trip go by faster:)

[​IMG]

If your ever in the Glendale, California area, stop by their shop, this place is Flathead Heaven (4 bangers and V8's).
    You won't wanna leave... we'll, at least not without one of the awesome motors that's built here!
    cheers,
    cab

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  21. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks a bunch HEMI32
    the more work i get done, the more posts will come yer way:)
    Cool to hear your nephew was able to lead you to the build of my blogspot. Yea the Hamb moves so fast these days it's hard to keep up.

Doctor Destructo
    I'll have to study that since i do have the movie, my kids love it:) Jay Ward from the Vultures cc, must have had sumthin to do with that because he had a lot of influence in that digital annimation. Thanks for the compliments and for that nice piece of info and trivia:)

22. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, a brain fart indeed! But Stevie, we all know where you would have ended up without my amazing guidance........

[​IMG]

23. YES! I love that damn motor. I cant wait to see more on this! Great job guys.

24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

"bling bling" -- where do i get my "off the wall" gold chain?

ha.

seriously though thats a bitchin flatty

25. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I got mine from Chuckles Garage, Scotty now carry's them in stock finally, but i don't think it's real gold though, the paint is starting to flake off of it:(

26. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Only the best for my gold chains! I was thinking of doing Cab's frame in the 18k gold plate. What do ya think??

Is 18k gold spraypaint traditional?

[​IMG]

27. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

UPDATE #9
    More frame and boxing plate work, plus some metal finishing

Last Monday (labor day) i spent laboring over my frame for 10 hours straight!
    I picked up a couple of metal horses from Home Depot to raise the frame higher (which are adjustable in height) while i ground and sanded the frame.

[​IMG]

We then flipped the frame over..

[​IMG]

Then i grabbed my mask, jacket, gloves and face shield and i started to go at it for hours. I know i'm a safety freak, but i hate getting burning by the sparks:( Scott also told me to grind with the spark going down, did i listen?... no:(

[​IMG]

So since i got the boxing plates from IONIA hot rods that already had a c-notch in them, i had to make some metal plates that fit to be welded in on both side of the frame.

[​IMG]

I found some scrap paper in my car to make a template, then i transfered them to a scrap piece of metal with a sharpie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scotty used the plasma cutter to cut them out and i then took the shapes to the grinder till they fit just right on both sides so they could be tacked in first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scotty welded them in perfectly, the dudes got skills i tell ya:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next Scotty took the grinding wheel with the 60 grit sanding disc and cleaned up the weld, then changed it to the 120 grit disc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final stage was the using the green roloc (similar to a small brillow pad) once again and wow, i just love how it turns out after much time spent smoothing out the metal. This is alot of work, but the results are always pleasing to the eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next week, i'll do the other side (rear frame horns) and metal finish the rest of the bottom of the frame the same way and hopefully sand blast both front and rear cross members too.

Thanks for all the support and kind comments on this project so far!
    cheers,
    cab

28. trad27

trad27

Looking good. Cant wait to see this one come together:D

29. Vorhese

Vorhese

30. Nice...and awesome gold chain...I see Scotty let you sit in his car for the picture.