Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cab's 1927 T Roadster Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, May 28, 2009.

1. woodbox

woodbox

Great work Cab. keep it up! I really like the look of the chassis after its all sanded up like that.....trouble is around here it wouldn't even last a day without starting to look rusty......Damn humidity!:rolleyes:

2. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Good times as usual! We should have it all metalfinished in about 9876542323456775943217854356879870 hours or so.

3. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the frame, couldn't have done it with out all the help from my brother Scotty, he's awesome and he's really showing me some great fabrication skills:) i can't wait to get the whole frame done like that, it's gonna take time and lots of it as i can see now only to be painted some day and covered up with the body and bed:( It would be great to be able to preserve it, but yes, i will rust here in California too, just not as fast as where your from woodbox with your humidity and all.

Making the frame like this is just to practice fabrication skills for me and also put out a really cool lookin frame for all your viewing pleasure:)

as a hobby it's fun and i like it, but not sure if i could (or would want too) do this for a living!
    cheers,
    cab

4. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Let's trade professions for a week!

I can see it now......the Chuckle 360, the Chuckleairiel, The half Chuckle.....

Hold on...thats one of my sponsors calling me now....

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

That Kicks Ass that you got Scott helping you get yer Hot Rod chops going... Your Welds are looking good too... the hard work pays off in the end...

Cole Foster Once told me What ever your doing Take your time and make it as nice
    as your ability allows... And Im pretty sure your the kind of guy that Picks up what ever
    and totally RULES AT IT!!!!

Go man Go!!!

Round Up 2010???? :D

6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I have seen Steve lay some pretty good beads after ten minutes of teaching him.

Its almost not fair how fast this guy picks things up.

7. im keepin an eye on this build. awesome.

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Wow, Scotty! Your work lately is like .... all .... Professional and stuff! What happened? That's looking sweet.

Ah crap. I said something nice... :(

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

ya I always had frinends like that...drove me nuts...I was just
    jellious cause I was big oaf and had to learn. :D

10. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Piero,
    I put all the "blame" on the teacher, I couldn't have been more blessed to have him guide me through this process:) When you have a person who's willing to help you in a positive, friendly and patient manner, it helps tremendously!
    Scotty you rock my brotha. Your gonna be seeing some awesome stuff come out of Chuckles Garage in the future because the passion is there and this is where it all starts. I look foreward every week to be able to roll up to Santa Rosa ( two hour drive with traffic) and work on this ride, plus i get to spend time with a good friend and slave drive him as well:)
    2010 huh? hmm, better get working on it if i'm gonna make the next round up, wishful thinking for sure!
    cheers and thanks again everyone for all your support,
    cab

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  11. 63Compact

63Compact

Looking sweet keep it up.

12. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I'm sure having A good teacher helps.. :D
    But how many Skate lessons did you take? Hahaha I bet you jumped right on......

Either way you guys rule...

I did the same thing with LIVE WIRE I would drive hour and a half to Ventura each way
    4 days a week...and I Looked forward to it every time...When your done you will feel
    like you fought a war together..and you will be friends for ever...Thats how I feel about
    everyone that helped me follow my dream....

2010 you can make it :D

13. This thing is taking shape eh! Right on CAB, and Skoty for showing him the way! Gonna keep my eye on this build, looks like a fun, period build for sure.
    And Cab, yer welds are looking pro!

-Shiny

14. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

4 days a week, Piero that rocks!
    I wish i could spend that much time on it... but a wife, 2 kids, a skateboarding career and all the traveling i have to do only allows me one day a week, so in reality maybe The Roundup 2011:(

as for skateboarding, didn't come easy for me at first, i sucked at it, but the "passion" was there and that's all it took.

I don't believe in natural talent, but i do believe in the natural passion to be talented or creative:)

15. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Shiny for the encouragement, but i think you may be getting the Scotty's mixed up a bit:(

"Skoty" Chops is my old Road Zombies club mate, which we are both not members of that car club any more, but still good friends and talk all the time. Skoty is also an amazing builder/fabricator and a good friend.

Scotty Birdsall is the one who owns Chuckles Garage, helping me build this RPU and is also my clubmate in our new club named the Crossmembers:)

Both Skoty and Scotty are good friends too and they both are awesome people!

16. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Yup your right...Passion... You got a ton of that my friend!!

And trust me by the time the car was done my Wife, dogs and Credit Card Company all hated me... but I had to do what I had to do...

By the way that was for an entire year... :D

My wife now Loves me again but hates my car hahahahahah

17. Wow, that looks great. I hope it will turn out as nice as the A I saw featured in HRD!

18. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Looks good, Cabby!

19. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

that frame is really shaping up nicely, can't wait to see more updates. And i cant believe im looking at pictures of you working on your own hot rod, CAB i remember the days of my youth watching skate vids of you! nice work!

20. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I wasn't able to make it up to Chuckles Garage last week to work on the frame, but i did score a pretty cool 1948 Model 98 oldsmobile gauge cluster for my dash:)

[​IMG]

I'm gonna center it in the dash, should add a cool look to it.
    Watcha think?

cheers,
    CAB

Lil'Alb likes this.
  21. arto

arto

That's a pretty sweet gauge cluster all right. Any other dash mods planned to match it?

22. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Not sure yet, but i'm open for ideas/sketches?

I do want to make it look like it came on this build, so i'll try and fabricate something that flows with the look of this Olds gauge cluster.
    Here are the dimensions Length: 7 3/4", Width: 6 1/4", Height: 4 3/4".
    It's small, so it will fit fine:)

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

THANK YOU! I've said the same thing many times.....

Killer project BTW.....

24. GARY?

GARY?

thanks for the updates. Diggin' the gauge pod too.

25. Nice gauge set Steve, should look good in there, maybe mount it angled slightly toward the driver?

26. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

Great start! Keep up the good work.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Love the build-up. I'll be watching this for sure. Keep at it!

28. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Cab, Nice looking dash cluster. I would be more in favor of centering it in front of the driver (unless the dash is not tall enough for that), Looking forward to seeing it installed in your "T" !

41 Dave

29. brainfrz

brainfrz

I agree with Dave, the smaller sections of the dash (which is awesome!) will be tough to see with a straight dash insert. Canting toward the driver will provide a nice view of the dash displays.
    Jon

30. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

Looks great! Anyone got a spare commercial shell?