Register now to get rid of these ads!

ca licence plate opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfink55, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

ok, so i know all about the YOM plate think in ca but it seems that 51 plates are going for 300 plus . does any one here have current plates painted black? i was talking to a guy i know and he was telling me about someone he knows that stripped his white plates , painted them black and had a pinstriper do the numbers and california in yellow. i know that there are obvious legal issues but do you think the average cop is even gonna notice as long your plate numbers match your reg.?(and your not doing anything really stupid) just a thought

2. BadLuck

BadLuck

They can tell from the configuration of the numbers and letters, and yes you can get a ticket....(wife works for the CHP!)..might be better to pay the money for the correct plate, instead of paying the fines! Im looking for 51 plates too...they're not cheap! Good luck...:)

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Especially noticable is new plates have 7 characters, old plates 6. Friend of mine tried that with his personalized plates and got caught.

4. 53burb

53burb

It isn't worth the bullshit to go through all that. I would rather have the original plates. KNUX!

5. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

yeah i guess i'll keep lookin for some 51's

6. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Your only gonna pay $300. + if you buy them from these over priced swap meets..... A friend of mine bought a project Fleetline that had '51 plates on it for $800. and then took the plates and some other parts he needed off the car...spent another $100. in sand paper and primer to give the car a nice suede job...then sold the car for $2000....Now thats a come up. Yeah it's alot of work but he did make a profit.

7. Hester

Hester

You should look up the administrative regulations promulgated by the DOT of your jurisdiction.... Then look and see if it specifically says that it is not okay to re-paint your license plates. I willing to bet most states say something to the effect of "you can't obscure" your plates. If that's all it says as long as it matches what your # should be and is readable I'd take my chances with the justice of the peace.

You'd think that the fuzz would figure out that most of the "hotrod" types these days are not the criminally minded 18 year old hair-in-their-ass trouble makers of yesteryear. Nowadays those guys drive Hondas.

8. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I painted my late reflectorized plates a few years ago--Iwork for the cops here and afew that I talked to say it's not "legal" to "change" them--but if they run em--and they come back ok--they don't care.

Attached Files:

9. Starting with the '47 issue, a lot of the plates had 7 digits, especially by 1951. You will see a lot of '51 plates with a number, followed by a letter, followed by 5 more numbers. This is the same configuration as the current commercial standard issue plate, so beware of bargain-priced '51 plates with 7 characters...a lot of them aren't "DMV clear".

10. Yes, a good point. That is the real reason those plates are so expensive if they are clear. It is hard to find a sequence that is not being used for that style of plate.
    The little corner year tag for 52 53, etc has to be clear too, I think.

11. 53burb

53burb

The year from 49-54 are the same plates style used. It is the metal tabs that indicate the year, those are the things that are hard to find. KNUX!

12. also the new plates don't have "california" in raised letters anymore.

13. 51-55 actually

14. chopt49

chopt49

Outlaw - look in PM box - sent one to you!

15. thisbugger

thisbugger

actually I have 7 characters on my 47 plate. i've seen a few like this but you're right most are 6 characters

16. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I know this probably don't mean anything but the DOT in DesMoines here sent me an E-mail stating that the plate on the YOM law was to be provided by me and therefore could be repainted or manufactured as long as it met the standards.