Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ca DMV Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greasy64, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Greasy64

Greasy64

Anyone in California know how to sigh a Pinkslip for my Deceased Dad? Dmv website doesnt say specifically. It's my moms car now. Can she sign? Thanks Guys.

2. This is the way I understand it, but I would still call the DMV and ask. If your mom is not on the title and she is the beneficiary of your dad's estate (in other words, the car passed to her upon your dad's death) then she will need to have the title transferred into her name. She may need a copy of your dad's death certificate to do that. Once the car is in her name, then she can sell it.

3. Ask for forgiveness not for permission, sign it. - sorry for your loss.

4. I had to get some papers sighed by the previous owner on a car. I told the cleck that the person lived in Nevada and that I had no way to get in touch with her. She looked me in the eye and said, "Didn't I see her, out on the parking lot, sitting in your car?" (wink wink) "Why don't you just go out there and get her to sign the papers?"
    So I did.
    The DMV doesn't keep signature cards on file like a bank does. There is no fraud or attempt to avoid fees, fines or taxes.
    Sign his name, date it (not in front of her, of course) and hand it to the clerk. BTW, there is no use tax assessed when it is a gift from a parent

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sign it yourself. And I've heard that story before.^^^

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Sorry for your loss of a loved one.

In California, a title is worded one of two ways for a married couple who want both their names on the title.

1st way: John Doe and Jane Doe. Requires both signatures to transfer onership. If one is deceased, a copy of death certificate and the survivor's signature on the title.

2nd way: John Doe or Jane Doe. Requires only one signature to transfer ownership of the vehicle.

DMV is very easy to deal with on this. No sales taxes are due when it is a family gift. I went through this process with DMV last year when my father passed. My mother's name was on the title with Dad's, and my mother transferred ownership of his vehicle to me.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought a car that the owner didn't sign the pink. When I went back he had died. His son signed it for me. Who is hurt?

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent over 30 years as with the State of CA (not the DMV). With my Department we would allow the exec of the estate to sign off on a license but would need a certified copy of the death certificate. Yes, you can just sign the pink and probably no one will be the wiser for it BUT if something turns to shit as things always do with tits or tires then you'll wish you had done it correctly. Try AAA or another title service if you don't want to stand in line at the DMV but IMO you need to do it correctly.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you think it would be ok with your dad to sign it, just do it, and make sure to date it BEFORE he died,just in case, better to avoid the crap at the DMV, no one is going to check and you already know it's legitimate, he would be happy his car is going to his son

10. Greasy64

Greasy64

Thank you all for the good advice. I appreciate it. The and/or thing sure is important just for this reason.

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

do the smart thing and seek legal advice for this type of thing, not H.A.M.Buger advice.

12. big creep

big creep

just sign it yourself! ive done it a few times.

13. deto

deto

Sign it yourself. No one will bother you over it