Register now to get rid of these ads!

CA DMV assistance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Jun 18, 2013.

  1. leroux
    Joined: Jan 29, 2008
    Posts: 309

    from SoCAl

    need to get my 30 A coupe registered and the plate we have (which is clear) assigned to it. would like to use the clear number off the motor for the registration.....anyone got some times to save me some time and from not going completely gray.....
  2. ^^Agreed. Do NOT go to the DMV with issues like this!!! An independent service like this is usually owned/operated by former DMV employees who know the system inside and out. Just remember: The DMV doesn't care less if you get your car registered. They are going to make you pay full pop for everything, and even still, sometimes you wind up back at Square 1. The independent service I use really cares about their customers. They want to see you get "legal", because they're car-people, too.
  3. Dr Dirt
    Joined: Oct 2, 2008
    Posts: 69

    Dr Dirt

    I used Donna for my 29 roadster. 1st class service
  4. 31HotRodLincoln
    Joined: Mar 21, 2007
    Posts: 167


    If you have a pick slip or registration old or even out of state it would help. The highway patrol is good for verifying those numbers.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

  5. hbwoody
    Joined: Dec 29, 2003
    Posts: 131


    I used Quick Plates in Huntington Beach they did my YOM plates. Give them a call:
  6. i recomend just getting it registerd with regular plate and then going after your oem plates

    first off vin verifiy... ron sachs cell 818 402 3332 ....

    then pedro 818 252 7266 he will do the dmv leg work, just did my 31 roadster.... great people to work with...goodluck
  7. Lugano enterprises

    ask for dannia

    626 255 7589

    she does it all in one shot.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. big M
    Joined: Mar 22, 2010
    Posts: 709

    big M

    Agreed. She has the knowledge to handle this request easily.

  9. barstowpo
    Joined: Jun 27, 2012
    Posts: 232


    Is this stuff too much for AAA to handle?
  10. speedyb
    Joined: May 12, 2010
    Posts: 484

    from socal

    These Guy speak wisely, use a dmv service!
  11. All you have to do is down load the VIN verification form, the YOM plate form and a Statement of Fact form from the CA DMV web site... have a peace officer or CHP do the VIN verification (They came out to my house) and then go down to the DMV, pay the fees and you're done.

  12. waterhorse
    Joined: Oct 17, 2008
    Posts: 138


    yes, use donna
  13. I've done it both ways.
    1st time:
    AAA, CHP verifier, then to DMV for YOM. Went easily, required time and patience, little $.
    2nd time:
    Used a service, required $$$, no patience, no time.

    You choose.
  14. leroux
    Joined: Jan 29, 2008
    Posts: 309

    from SoCAl

  15. On a Model A they will not register it from the engine number. Model A's had frame numbers and that is what they use. If it is missing or illegible CHP will end up putting a Blue Tag on it.
  16. This was not my experience. Mine was verified by AAA from the engine only.
    "Results will vary"
  17. You can read about it all here...

  18. one2roc
    Joined: Oct 1, 2010
    Posts: 77


    I highly recommend using Cal-Ez Auto Registration in Anaheim, ask for Dave. He's taken care of a couple of mine that could have been real sticky.
  19. 1954Bill
    Joined: Feb 26, 2009
    Posts: 180

    from Long Beach

    they dont do YOM plates:(
  20. 31HotRodLincoln
    Joined: Mar 21, 2007
    Posts: 167


    It cost me the maximum fine for not in the system auto 31' so be sure to have several hundred dollars ready at DMV time.
  21. HUH?
    there is no max fine in california for out of the system, only for for unpaid registration up to 10 years.

    if a car is out of the system you pay the transfer of title ($15), 1 year's registration (less than $100) plus the sales tax the purchase price which i'm sure was less than $500 right? ($45) so more like a little more than $100.
  22. Surprised at that as I had two Model A's that Both required lifting the body to show the original frame number. Of course neither had stock 4 bangers ....
    Oh, and good to meet you at LARS!

    I am familiar with that, but neither DMV or CHP really cared - if there was a frame number they wanted to see it and if there wasn't they issued a Blue Tag.
  23. GassersGarage
    Joined: Jul 1, 2007
    Posts: 4,728


    If the car doesn't have a visible vin, I would have the CHP issue one. I would not buy a car without a visible vin. As a side note, awhile back, there was an insurance thread. An insurance adjuster said that in the event of a total, you have to prove the car in question was the one they insured. Without a vin plate they would not pay off.
  24. Good meeting you as well, nice to put the face with the post.
    I'm sure that the only reason was that I had paperwork that matched the number that was legible on the original engine. Pretty straightforward.
  25. Jimmy2car
    Joined: Nov 26, 2003
    Posts: 1,707

    from No. Cal

    Use Donna Leek
    Unless you run into a real dolt, Ca DMV only wants and uses FRAME numbers

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.