Register now to get rid of these ads!

C9 ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retorq, Nov 23, 2009.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Adding my condolences to the family as well....

2. onedge

onedge

Ms. Gay I'm so sorry for your loss. C9 was a favorite HAMBER & will be missed. His knowledge experiences he shared are left here on the board for us, while he is cruising the roadster canyon above.

3. I'm still numb.

There's so many things I want to say, but I'm finding it difficult to write them as I still can't believe I won't be seeing Jay next U.S. summer, as we had planned.

[​IMG]

As soon as I shot this picture I jumped in the roadster's passenger seat and we blasted off towards the orange groves, where Jay just stopped in the middle of the road and as he got out, said, "Your turn."

That's a typical C-9 memory I know I'll never, ever forget and just typing this I find myself smiling as I recall Jay telling me not to hold back on the throttle.

I think there's quite a few of these stickers attached to different things around the world, that will also bring a smile to people's faces as they remember the man responsible.

[​IMG]

Some of the things that would turn up in the snail mail after an email discussion or a thread here or on the RRT, regardless of the topic, were always fun. On occasions I'd be reluctant to let on my ignorance of some things USA, because Jay would always pick up on it and a sample, maybe two or three, would appear in my mailbox soon after.

I once mentioned that I wanted some Olds Fiesta caps for my '33. Soon after, a large package appeared with a note, saying that he was sorry they were not Fiestas but the plain version, Fiestas minus the tri bar flippers. And as only Jay could do, there were five mint caps in the box, because he figured I'd need one for the spare wheel hanging off the back of the car.

Jay was also kind of amused that I thought his '49 Plymouth Buisiness Coupe "Miss Plymouth" was kinda cool. Apparently it wasn't. Anyhow, one day a package arrives telling me that she had moved on to a new home, but before she went, he removed one of the license plates.

I have quite a few plates on my garage walls, but there's one section of wall that's reserved for the special ones. These are the plates that have a story and in the pic below, some of the stories may be obvious, whilst one of the less obvious is the blue California plate from Miss Plymouth. An old license plate might not mean much to most folks but this one now means a great deal more to me than it did yesterday.

[​IMG]

We hadn't spoken for a few weeks, but that was normal and I figured sooner or later one of us would initiate the next discussion. I guess now that's not going to be.

As for the books, there's more truth in the fiction that is Pinky, than most of us realise. I recall discussing with Jay after reading it (something Mrs Carps considered special in itself was that Jay actually got me to read a novel and a teen romance to boot) I talked with him about some of the characters, because it seemed they were familiar. He just smiled (yeah even over the internet I could tell) and agreed that there was more real life than fiction in that story.

You didn't have to spend long talking with Jay to realise that he and Gay were more than husband and wife, there was something very special happening there and I can't begin to imagine what she has been through in these past weeks. I wish there was something I could do to help ease her pain.

4. mottsrods

mottsrods

I was super busy yesterday and just caught this post this morning..... My condolensces to the Carnine family. He will truly by missed by many. I spoke with Jay awhile back and savored the conversation. I think the HAB needs to come up with a Memorial section for our fallen brothers and sisters.

Mott

5. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

Sadly I didn't know Jay personally, but I enjoyed his posts and obvious knowledge. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. RIP Jay

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This is shocking news to say the least, a real loss to our community. His books and writing were inspirational. I will also miss all of his clever tech posts, seems like he always had an answer!

My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this tragic time of loss. My next drive in the roadster will be in his honor, I know that is what he would want us to do, hit the road.

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said Carps.

9. 18n57

18n57

My condolences to C9's family and friends. 13 pages of praise and fond memories, must have been a terrific fella'. Think I'll get in touch with some old friends I haven't spoken to lately. RIP C9

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  10. Mike

Mike

Damn. One of the good ones.

RIP Jay.

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Dang....

My condolences to Gay and the rest of Jay's family.

12. FWilliams

FWilliams

WOW.

my condolences Gay, what a shock.

Fred

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Man I am floored. Like alot of you I didn't know C9 in person but I had read his posts and had always looked forward to seeing what he had to say.
    He will be be missed. My condolenses go out to his family and everyone who knew him.

RIP "C9"

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was honored to be included in one of his short stories. I had not been on the HAMB too long when he wrote a story that included a guy named Tommy that drove a fenderless flat black 32 Ford sport coupe. I was embarrassed at first. There can't be too many Tommys driving 32 SCs. I took it as a welcome to the HAMB. That kind of thing doesn't happen to me very often. I still find that very moving for me to this day.

It's very hard to impart your personality through a keyboard. Jay was good at it. I did come to respect the man and his giving personality. I feel like I lost a friend. The more I read the more I liked. Never a nasty word even if flamed by a know nothing idiot.

Just by the number of posts here we all know how he affected us.

We are all lucky that we had the opportunity so share ideas and recollections with him.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

AwwMan..this is a drag.
    such a nice person, and a great help to many.
    i never had the chance to meet in person..
    the world lost a brother..i dont know what else to add.

go forward in peace my brother..RIP..C9

16. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Sad news indeed. The entire car community has lost a big asset. His talents in so many fields will be missed.

17. Cword

Cword

This is heartbreaking news

My condolences to Jays family and all of his friends here and throughout the world.

Mike

18. hemi

hemi

I am in shock... this is the very last thing I expected when logging on this morning.

He will be sorely missed... I learned so much from him and he always answered my questions about writing. I will never forget the day he introduced himself to me via PM on the HAMB and asked if he could use my wife's picture for the cover of his new book, Pinky. This is a sad day for both the HAMB and automotive fiction.

I'm still in shock. Our condolences to Gay (Sweetie) and the rest of his family.

19. Sad news for sure. Definitely an example for others to live by, we need more these days. While thumbing through posts, I always paused at the C9 avatar to see what he had to say about whatever the topic was. It was always worth the stop. He will surely be missed. Condolences.

20. Brandi

Brandi

Aww man. I'm absolutely numb right now. Like many, I never met Jay in person, but felt connected through our conversations here. In his roadster writings, he'd always capture the feelings I get when I'm "sailing down the hill."

Rest in peace, Jay. You'll be missed by more folks that you even know.

21. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Wow, I'm at a loss. I truly enjoyed reading his stories. My condolences to his family.

22. he lived the dream! Carps I'm going to read his book again. I alway thought I'd get down to Kingman and have it autographed.
    note to self stop putting things off
    Jay, hope you find a dragstrip at every corner..............Jim

23. "Just me, Sweetie, the car, a smooth ribbon of black velvet road unwinding into the darkness and it all became one.

Course having Sweetie in the car, makes it a complete experience. One of those memorable times in which nothing special happened, nothing special done and nowhere special gone to. Just a bright and shining moment and one that lives strongly in my memory.

Sweeties too, I think."

This really brings tears to my eyes. What a great example of Jay's love, eloquence and warmth in words. If you could ever connect with someone through their expressive language, you've had the privilege of knowing Jay.

May God truly comfort and bless you and your family during this time. He will be missed by the people on this board that were made better through his giving of himself.

24. Rest in Peace Jay!!
    And thanks for all you help!!

25. MBog

MBog

I personally never had the pleasure of meeting him , but what a story teller, he really hit home. Sorry for your loss......

26. Wow, I'm just stunned. A real loss to the H.A.M.B. RIP C9

27. Very sad news :( ... my condolences to Jay's family ... always enjoyed reading C9's posts and stories ... Godspeed Jay Carnine.

28. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Not having been on here very long I didn't know C9 that well, but I know he'll be missed. He seemed to always have a "difinitive" answer to the toughest technical questions on here. My heart goes out to your family.

29. So sad to hear this!:( Jay was a great member of the HAMB and was always willing to contribute to us all! Godspeed!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  30. It is indeed a sad day.... Godspeed to you Jay.

I remember years ago printing stories at work so I could read them when I got home.

There are few people who can hold a candle to the C9 body of knowledge, from Hot Rods, to Machining, to Cannons, a little bit of it all. I still reference my printed copy of a thread on Vaccuume advance and carburater tuning with a vaccume gage.

I hope I can fill my life with as much happiness and a positive attitude.
    R.I.P. I am sure you are driving the highway to heaven enjoying every mile.