Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical C4 Transmission help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Satterfield, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Recently purchased a C4 to Flathead kit from Speedway which included a rebuilt transmission for the wife’s coupe. I finished the installation today. I currently have about 7 quarts of fluid in the transmission. The car will not move. I can’t find any definitive info on how many quarts a dry C4 requires. Should I add more fluid? There are no strange noises etc. just the car will not move forward or backwards. Thank You.

2. sdluck

sdluck

The trans didn't come with any paperwork did you fill the torque converter before you put it in what year C4 is this

Sent from my SM-J737T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 and Flathead Dave like this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Did you fill the converter before assembling? As I recall I wound up putting 10 qts in, but your setup will be different (cooler, lines, etc). Add until you see full on the dipstick idling in drive.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It could take as much as 9 or 10 or even 11 quarts depending on your pan, torque converter, configuration, etc.

Did you prefill the torque converter before installing it in the trans?

5. I believe they hold 9/10 qts. With the 7 qts run it thru the gears, then add 2 more. If it moves then , check level and top off. Idling in park.

alanp561 likes this.
  6. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I put 1 quart in the converter per the instructions which also stated to add 3-4 to case. Which I did Thought it was possibly still low. So I added an approximate Additional 2 quarts.

7. sdluck

sdluck

There is a contact number on the website for both Speedway and who to call about warranties for transmission

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. sdluck

sdluck

Budget36 likes this.
  9. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

It shows like there is still fluid in the tube.

10. Does it have a dip stick ?
    Engine running in park fill it until it hits the full line.

7 quarts is just above 1/2 capacity roughly .

alanp561 likes this.
  11. A quart in the converter, 5-6 in the fill tube, start the car, run it through the gears, check fluid level, add fluid..likely need another 5-6 quarts...check level

alanp561 and Boryca like this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Keep adding fluid while it’s running and shift it through the gears until you get things working.
    It takes a lot of fluid to fill the converter and cooler lines and all that.
    My C4 took 9. 5 litres before it worked and it still needs some more to fill it up once I drive it.
    When it’s full I’ll probably have about 10 litres or more in it.

Oh and don’t forget to have the back wheels off the ground or your foot on the brake while you go through the gears :eek::D

13. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I just added another quart. With the car not running. Which would make a total of 8 It poured out of the top vent. Now what? I give up.

14. sdluck

sdluck

You should add fluid and check it only with it running the torque converter is bolted to the flywheel

Flathead Dave likes this.
  15. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

It sounds like the pumps not working. If the fluid level is way up the dipstick it’s not pumping fluid. Was a converter all the way back in the pump when installed?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

I rotated it as I pushed it in. When I attached it to the flexplate the studs were approximately 1/4 “ away from the mounting holes.

17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Now the last dreaded questions..... did you make sure the converter was properly seated in the pump before you bolted up the trans? Any gap you had to use the bellhousing bolts to pull the trans to the block plate?

Flathead Dave likes this.
  18. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Have I ruined something if the pump wasn’t engaged and what should I do to verify?? No the adapter plate had studs. We used No bolt drawl to seat transmission

19. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I’m not familiar with that adapter arrangement but it sounds like the pump is not turning or it’s gotten broken. You could start it and crack a cooler line to confirm that.

20. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Is it a big bell housing C4 or a small bell housing C4? Does the dipstick go in the pan or in the case?

21. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Dipstick is in the side of pan. The kit provided an adapter plate. Flex plate. Starter as well as transmission and converter

22. RmK57

RmK57

Take the inspection cover off at the bottom of the trans and get someone to crank the engine to see if the torque converter spins.

23. gotta ask... did you bolt the converter to the flywheel/flexplate

24. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

That’s a big bell housing case then and it may have come with a small bell housing converter in which case it doesn’t reach the pump when bolted to the fly wheel. The converter would’ve been way back in the bell housing and not poke through the fly wheel holes if the converter were wrong.

25. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

No tech lines are available today. I am no authority on automatic transmissions. But I have installed several. My guess was a pump issue since the fluid stayed high in the tube. Is there someway I can check. Slide transmission back etc??? I did have to wiggle the converter forward about 1/4 to get the studs through the flex plate.

26. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Did the converter come with the transmission or was it bought separately?

27. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

Try unbolting the torque converter from the flexplate and rotating it and pushing back into the tranny to see how far you can get it to go back,your adaptor setup may have the flexplate too far away from the tranny allowing the converter to come to far forward and disengage from the pump.If you had to use any force to get things to come together it may have broken the rotor in the pump it doesn't take a lot.

28. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

No force was required. Working on un bolting the converter now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  29. Eric Satterfield

Eric Satterfield

Convertor nuts removed. Convertor not engaged in pump. Wrong convertor seems to be the consensus. I assumed Ford was like GM that you could index it to the flywheel after the transmission was installed.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  30. Starlinerdude

Starlinerdude
    from Washington

You should be able to get it to go back to the point that converter studs almost come out of the flexplate if it goes back much farther than that I would question the accuracy of the adaptor setup.