Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods C4 Tranny Mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RednekYoga, May 3, 2022.

1. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

Howdy HAMBers,
    I've got a '74 C4 tranny/1966 289 setup in my '63 Comet. Had a pretty bad leak at the pan, started to hesitate going into drive, so pulled the pan and replaced the filter and gasket. I measured 3.5 quarts that I drained, so I put 4 quarts of fresh fluid back in after the job...still wasn't engaging in drive, so I added another quart, still no dice. I added another quart, and the car barely moves in drive (like riding a clutch), and just to make me really happy, the pan leak was worse than before I did the job. I re-torqued the pan bolts to about 18lbs, and the leak is much better, but still dripping a little. What did I do?
    Thanks as always,
    RNY

2. Did you check the dipstick?

fauj, RednekYoga, Randall and 4 others like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Quick Google say 5.5 quarts for a C4 when pulling the pan.
    But was it slipping before the gasket/filter change?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

No slipping, but it would take a few secs to pop into drive.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Did you check the dipstick?

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is the new filter still on the work bench?

Don't laugh. It wasn't until I noticed two distributor rotors on the work bench to make me realize why the car wouldn't start.

7. Budget36

Budget36

That’s odd, but as Don mentioned you need to check the level. Need to be done while running. Should be something like D the R a few times the check in park. But by my count you’re still a qt low via the. TCI website.

As far as the pan still leaking, when you had it off did you lay a straight edge along the sides? This would tell you if it was warped

8. What did you find in the bottom of the pan when you dropped it?
    o_O

9. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

When you took the filter off, did a spring and plunger fall out of the valve body? Most 70 and up C4 had this and is held in place by a tab on the filter.The dip stick is there for a purpose.

jaracer likes this.
  10. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

A 74 C-4 should have a plunger and spring held in place by a tab on the filter. Is it there? Some valve bodies have the spring and plunger retained by a roll pin. If its held in by the filter, it should go in plunger first then spring then filter. Lots of times, for the unaware, it falls out when removing the filter into the drain pan and dosen't get put back in or is installed backwards. Something to check.
    Fluid amount on a pan fluid change is around 3.5 qts.

Bill

11. F13274B5-E75C-4C39-B1C0-F021917A9C7D.jpeg

This can drop out or get wedged when charging the filter

did the new filter possibly fall off when you installed the pan ?

get the trans warm ( go through the gears a few times ) and check WITH THE DIP STICK on flat and level ground .

there are two band adjustments that can be done easily on the C4 . Look up the procedure .

the governors can stick if parked or not driven “ spirited” for some time .

pretty bullet proof transmission .

12. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

It's not in the very best shape...someone (not me!) overtorqued it at some point maybe, but it didn't look too wonky.

13. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

I was really careful in replacing the plunger/spring thing. Plunger goes on top, right?

14. RednekYoga

RednekYoga

I was really careful in replacing the plunger/spring thing. Plunger goes on top, right?

15. squirrel

squirrel

Did you check the dipstick?

LWEL9226, seb fontana and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Yes it does

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would lose my ass as a flat rate mechanic if it took me that long to fill a fresh rebuilt automatic transmission. :confused:

Alaska Jim, X-cpe, TA DAD and 6 others like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

Just run it through the gears a couple of times with the tires in the air after filling. Then take it out and make sure it is ok. Thousands done that way never a problem.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If you have a case fill dipstick you may want to pull the dipstick tube out of the case and replace the o ring. They get hard and brittle and will not seal correctly causing a leak. The no drive is probably air trapped in converter. You could open up converter drain plug and see if fluid immediately comes out.