Register now to get rid of these ads!

C4 technical help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 416Ford, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 416Ford

416Ford

I have a 75 C4 transmission with a shifter lever #D5OPP-AA and the neutral safety switch I purchased doe not fit.
    If anyone can tell me exactly what this trans is from so I can buy another N.S.switch I would appreciate it.

Shifter does not have N.S. provision and I can not change the shifter arm at this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cbillelder

cbillelder

Looks to me like you have a C4 just like several I have in the shop. I noticed that your shift lever points up which is usually used with a floor shifter with the linkage coming from the rear. Column shift trannys usually have the lever pointing down 180 degrees from yours, but then, I don't know what your setup is at the other end of your shift cable. There are lever and button type switches sold by many of the hot rod suppliers. Maybe you can rig up a bracket mounted on the two switch threads on the case so the switch is closed when the shift lever is in the rear (park) position. You could only start the car in park and not neutral, but hey, how many times do we actually start them in neutral anyway?
    Good luck!

3. 416Ford

416Ford

That is the point I am at now. Had an issue with my last car one night when it stalled. Could only start the car in park and the car had no hazard lights. No a good combination on busy road.

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Show us how you are trying to fit the switch.
    It looks to have the screw mounting hole cast into the side of the case.
    I'll check mine to see how it sets as well.

5. 416Ford

416Ford

All the C4 pictures I have seen show it mounted over and above the shaft. Tried to mount it on the bottom side but it would not go on the shaft to even check it.

Example:

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am not near to my vehicle right now but the way you have it looks OK.
    Why are you saying it wont fit what is it hitting or what is the problem exactly???

7. 416Ford

416Ford

Switch is about 1-1/4" from center-line of shaft to outer edge. so the bend on the bracket would need to at least 1-5/16". On mine it is 3/4".
    The switch is a standard switch and from what information I have been given, all the switches are the same size, just different plug ends.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I just took a look at a tranny near to me that is not in a car.
    The switch you show is fitted in the correct configuration.
    I took a measurement between the shaft center and the lever hole and it is approx 2 1/2".
    The lever on this tranny is almost straight with only a slight bend in towards the case to clear the switch when fitted.
    My guess is somebody before you has modified this lever and not taken into account ever fitting a neutral start switch to the tranny.

Try to find another tranny fitted to another car locally so you can see more clearly what is required...

9. 416Ford

416Ford

Sounds easy.
    Tranny is in the car and the engine and trans came out of a car and were sold to me.
    I am hoping someone can tell me what car the part number belongs to so I can get a N.S. switch for that car or I will have to add a switch to the shifter in the car.
    I am not a tranny guy so I don't know if the lever is spun wrong direction and should be pointing down.
    The lever has not been bent or modified.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no tranny guy either, but you are stuck with what you have.
    I'd be trying to make an adapter extension piece to move the switch out away from the tranny a little further to clear the lever and use some spacers and longer bolts to mount it back to the correct screw in points for a 1st attempt at solving it.

Just my 2 cents to solving it...

11. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think you have a floor shift trans and Mustang Pinto may work.
    Check the slot location,I see one on the bay 360602010996 item
    Looks like switch is on bottom.

12. 416Ford

416Ford

Looks the same George with the wires coming out the bottom.

Can anyone tell me it the slots in the selector shaft are centered?
    Are the bolt holes on the center line? Would try to mount switch on the bottom.

Attached Files:

13. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

The shaft engineering # is mid 70s Torino. But your lever does have the groove which engages the switch moving it through the quadrant. Make sure everything is clean, could just be some trash keeping it from going on. Check the tab in the switch, you may have to move it or the shift lever to be able to align up and engage it. Your lever is for a column shift, the switch mounts topside only.

14. 416Ford

416Ford

If the switch mounts topside only, the switch will not fit.
    Switch is about 1-1/4" from center-line of shaft to outer edge. so the bend on the bracket would need to at least 1-5/16". On mine it is 3/4".

15. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I found one mounted below. Says it's a 65 Mustang.

Attached Files:

16. 416Ford

416Ford

Not sure what that really is?
    This is what I ordered from CJ Pony Parts
    SW877 $41.59
    12/15/66-69 C4,C6 NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH. HAS FOUR WIRE PLUG.

Attached Files:

17. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

The neutral safety Switch, C-4 Neutral Safety (With 1 Round Four Blade Connector) I believe were all the same, Your linkage is installed upside down. I will look tomorrow in an old parts and labor guide for other linkage choices, we have blowing snow in southern Wisconsin now and I am not venturing out. The attachment is from Whatever it takes transmission parts, unfortunately they do not list part numbers for illustration 992:confused:.

Regards,

Brian

Attached Files:

18. 416Ford

416Ford

Looked at that picture during my searches. Guess I should start working on the shifter mounted N.S. switch.
    I was heading out to the garage tonight myself but the snow you are getting is from us.
    Dave.

19. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

I looked for linkage part# in an old Mitchell parts and labor guide and some other transmission manuals and came up blank, they show C6 linkage numbers but no C4 or C5 linkage

20. 416Ford

416Ford

Thanks for looking.

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA