Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical c4 help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wyoming Ray, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Wyoming Ray

Wyoming Ray

hey all, my question for the day is on the C4 trans I have for my 62 Falcon. Quick history, I purchased the car (no motor or trans in it) from a fellow and have been rebuilding the old girl. He included with the purchase a newly rebuilt 347 stroker with 164 tooth flex plate. He also included a C4 core (no bell housing or tail shaft housing? also no ID tag). It is a case fill. 26 splines on input shaft (28 output?). It also has the flat style mounting surface on the bell side rather than the flared style. Im starting to look at a bell housing and other assorted parts to get this thing running. My confusion is that I've read that the post 70 c4 cases had the flared bell housing mount surface (unlike mine) and the pre 70 c4s have a vent line near one of the servo covers? (also unlike mine). So without the tag I'm having problems figuring out the approximate year of production. There are some numbers stamped onto the top of the case but no tag. I will post some pictures here shortly. This is my first introduction to building a rod so I'm trying to limit (any more) costly mistakes.

2. Wyoming Ray

Wyoming Ray

pictures

Attached Files:

3. squirrel

squirrel

look for casting numbers...if they start with D then it's the 1970-newer trans. If they start with C then it's from the 60s. at least that's the quick and dirty way I ID them

Crazy Steve likes this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

You might try calling Performance Automatic (240-439-4650) in Frederick MD. They started their business with C4's.

5. Wyoming Ray

Wyoming Ray

im not sure where to find the casting numbers you mentioned. There are some numbers on the front or pump area but they seem pretty generic. "C4AP-7A105". Based on the info I have, they didn't make a 26/24 input shaft until like '71 but the other stuff im seeing doesn't fit any specific year range that I've found. Guess not knowing the history of the tranny it could have been modified from the stock build unfortunately the fellow I got it from knew very little about as well.

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's been too long since I worked on them...I know several parts changed in the early 70s, shafts got larger, etc, but I don't remember if the pump cover changed or not.

In my experience with the C4, you're better off finding a complete setup, rather than trying to piece it all together.

LM14 likes this.
  7. 6sally6

6sally6

Do you HAFTA use a C-4 that is the same as the "core"?;) I bet you could shop around and find a re-built C-4 that will bolt up to your bell. Theres gazillions of them.
    Why-knot.....consider a 4L-60 or something with OD?!:rolleyes: I mean...you are shopping for a tranny and they bolt right up pretty easy.
    6sally6

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Why in the world would he want a c-5?

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That's not a C4. That's pieces of one.
    You are better off finding a complete unit. Preferably off a car that's close to what you are aiming for.

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

The part number C4... ,makes it a 64 part. Do some research on trans ,c4 especially. .Good trans. The one you have is a case fill and is a better core than a pan fill. You also need a tailhousing.There are 3 bellhousings for the c4 ,one is for the mustang 2 ,hard to find, the other 2 are fairly easy .One is for the 164 tooth, the other is the smaller 153. It would fit in the trans tunnel of the falcon better.

11. Wyoming Ray

Wyoming Ray

I looked at complete trans units but I was hoping to use the one I’ve got. Bell housing around $400, torque converter around $300, tail shaft about 100. That’s about half the price of a new complete setup. Just hoping to save a little bread and utilize what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

you are looking in the wrong places at those prices. Core trans should not be over 150, more like a 100.I may have a 164 bell will have to look this w/e. Try craigs list.There is a c4 near me, not close to you, but it's 150 ,would probably take 125. Try the bay. a 4cyl or a 6 cyl trans is the same one has 3 clutches,the v/8 has 5

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  13. RmK57

RmK57

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Beware of the 1964 C4. The first year transmission had some bugs. These were improved in 65 and were pretty much worked out by '66-67.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Early c4s used one set of bolts to anchor the bell housing and the pump...
    the later c4s had 2 sets of bolts, one for the bell, and one for the pump...
    ditto F1 … get a whole tranny... and be sure what year it is...

deathrowdave likes this.
  16. Also some early C4's had a 5 bolt bell...

Get a WHOLE tranny go from there be better off

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just thinking out loud, something tells me this transmission was rebuilt and didn't work correct so the bell and tail housings were swap to one that worked.

18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I gave $150 for a C4 in good working order with the torque converter, he was changing to a T-5 and just wanted it gone. Took it to my tranny friend and he put a few new seals in it that were hard. I wouldn't waste a dime on the tranny you have. Find a complete one.

They are cheap to rebuild, lots of converter choices if stock won't work for you. I would try to find one for the 153 tooth flex plate, lots less room needed for that one.

SPark

48fordnut likes this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I know a couple of places I can check, what area of Wyoming are you in?

48fordnut likes this.
  20. Wyoming Ray

Wyoming Ray

21. RmK57

RmK57

Weren't the early C4's called Cruise-o-matics? I had one in my 65 Mustang and it starts off in 2nd gear, then shifts to 3rd. If you wanted to race with it you had start in low, shift to drive, let it shift to 2nd, then pull back to low to hold 2nd gear. Oddball sort of thing, but it worked ok. I think in 1967 they went to the regular prnd21 pattern, whereas the cruiseo had prndl pattern.

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

I think I still have a full manual valve body for a case fill C-4 It is a forward shift pattern.
    I would let you have it cheap. It is a TCI unit.

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ah, a bit far from me, though I have drilled over there a ton, and been to the now-gone drag strip. There was a junkyard over there we used to visit, but I can't recall the name. You might ask Vinnie the body man, if he is still there, his shop was for sale a couple years back though.

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You are correct. Ford called all their 3 speed automatics Cruisomatics in 64-65.
    These are nicknamed "Green Dot C4s." My 64 Fairlane Sports Coupe shifter is worn out likely by the process you describe.
    1966 was the last year for the Green Dot C4. In 67 the DOT mandated standardized shift patterns.
    The 1964 was a fair transmission but was not a performance transmission. It had some weaknesses. 65 this was addressed somewhat. 1966 was pretty good. A simple change of the valve body can convert the Green Dots to the standard shift pattern of later transmissions.

48fordnut likes this.
  25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If it they do that bellhousing is pretty much Gold.
    That housing allows you to bolt a later improved C4 to the 62-early 65 221-289 Challenger small blocks.
    It's a sought after piece and a rare one too.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That junkyard there is called OK Wrecking, 307-358-2995. You probably know where it is, they were pretty nice, pleasant folks to deal with.

27. When I was at a "CLASSIC" Auto salvage yard we was getting $250 for them at that time and this was in the late 90's early 2k couldn't get enough of them...

F-ONE likes this.
  28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I tried to get 125 and that was a bust . This was in 2005.