Register now to get rid of these ads!

C355 tripower manifold for 265 and other silly questions....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deuce Chev, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

So in a recent trade I acquired an Edelbrock C355 manifold and some other SBC parts, I understand this was basically a 1 year manifold and it has small ports for the early 265 heads along with a couple other one year only features. My question is, performance aside, can this manifold seal to and work with later 283 heads with larger ports? It seems to me that feeding larger ports into smaller ported heads (just the opposite of what I am wanting to potentially do) would be more difficult than feeding the smaller ports of the C355 into larger port heads.

The only reason I have an interest in using this manifold is that it has some history that is close to my heart.

Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419175403.542627.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

If those valve covers are the ones you are going to use, you need to use pre '59 heads for the staggered bolt pattern. That manifold should work fine on all pre '59 heads.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

Got a set of 57 heads in the trade.

4. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

The heads are I believe 1957. The ports in the heads are a fair amount larger than those in the manifold, but there seems to be quite a bit of meat on the manifold around its tiny ports. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419177746.731845.jpg

5. Deuce Chev

Deuce Chev
    from Pacific NW

When I was a kid a bunch of us knew about a 40 Ford "Race car" covered in brush that no one could ever seem to get a chance to buy, it had a 265 with 3X2's on it and the normal "you kids get out of here, that car's not for sale!" answer was given any time the question was asked about the car. Everyone had pretty much given up on ever getting the car and we figured it would melt into the ground before it ever moved. Fast forward a few years to about 1982 somehow my uncle talks his way into buying the car, he yanks the 265 and hangs the manifold and valve covers on the wall of his shop, he drops a Ford engine back in the Forty and rebuilds the car. Like the old lady that had the Forty, he won't budge on selling the intake or the valve covers. 32 years later I end up with them and a bunch of other parts in a trade. So...... Build something out of the parts and use the pieces I've wanted since I was a kid.....