Register now to get rid of these ads!

C3 Ford trans...use it or junk it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 18n57, Aug 7, 2007.

1. 18n57

18n57

I'm planning to put a Ford 2.3 in the wife's '54 Nash Metro. I found an engine with a C3 automatic. Don't know anything about the reliability, etc. It will see light duty with her driving, but were they good transmissions or trouble from day one?? I would have it rebuilt. Thanks in advance for any help here.....

2. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

use it. . .perfectly fine behind that and the price is right. .

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That transmission was a light duty 3 speed automatic used mainly in Pintos and Bobcats with the 2.3 litre engine. In a small (light) car with a stock or very mild 2.3 engine, it will hold up fine for normal driving as long as it is in good working order to begin with.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the pan and change the filter and gasket while you're in the process of putting the car together, though. It'll give you a chance to examine to inside of the pan and see how much residue and stuff is in there.

The C3 is actually a pretty good match for the 2.3 engine...being that it doesn't take much power to operate and it's a simple. proven design. I think you'll be happy with it.

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

the c3 is the same as a c4 minus the clutch pack. 3- has 3 disc. the c4 has 5 they can be up graded. most trans builders will do it no chg. all you need is a c4 clutch pack. it will work fine as is.

5. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Lots of bad info here.A c3 is completely diff that c4.When your working on c3 setup pull pump bolts one at a time and retork with 3m weatherstrip ad under sealing washers .You will be glad you did, about 90% of problem were caused by them loosening up. Light use trans.