Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods C1 corvette gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by les dearborn, Oct 14, 2021.

1. les dearborn

les dearborn

Hello,
    I want to build a c1 corvette gasser. I have A 61 Does any body build chassis for the street? Does anybody modify existing chassis? Does anybody make a bolt in straight axle set up? Does anybody have a chassis for sale? Does anybody have a c1 gasser for sale?
    { other than ebay} Thank you

2. Deuces

Deuces

Your in Dearborn????? Where at?????.....

3. les dearborn

les dearborn

Name not location

Deuces likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

Want the front up in the air the easy way? Unbolt the front suspension from the frame. Insert some spacers between the frame and suspension. It was done to quite a few.

5. les dearborn

les dearborn

Thank you ,I did that already worked ok but want a straight axle.

Deuces likes this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

Show us some pictures of your Corvette to see what you are working with.
    BCCHOPIT here on the HAMB makes some great axles. Here is his website.
    https://waccustoms.com/

7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Here is my '61 and my '40 Chevy that I did that on...worked like a charm...

bobs vette 4 (2).jpg pumpkin (2).jpg

41 coupe, Deuces, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@jimdillon recently sold a Corvette gasser built by Larry Teter. It has a tube axle and full frame. I was lucky enough to see it just before it sold. If I were to build one I would do it much like that one. I do not have the time to take on that project for myself or anyone else or I would offer to build it.

Here are some pic from the eBay ad: s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't recall ever seeing a chopped C1 before...that's the coolest Vette I've ever seen:cool:
    [​IMG]

65pacecar and ROCKER77 like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Les solid axle gassers were very different. Many different ways to go. Depending on the era you are shooting for affects your decision. Jason’s (elgringo) choice on the straight axle is the best IMO if you want the straight axle. A Pontiac rear was a common choice for the rear. I may be able to help you in that regards but my shop is shut dow for awhile due to recent back surgery. Lots of things to consider and sometimes it is easiest to choose a particular car and try to replicate it. Not all had moon tanks up front and really none had whitewalls. The stance is important due to the era you choose. Since you want a straight axle the front will have some height. Traction aid due to this height may not be based totally in science but the look is cool. A very high front with a low back may not be all that correct either. There are thousands of pics on the internet. Choose a couple you like. Some are more street freaks than gasser so choose your look wisely. Good luck and load a couple of examples you are shooting for. Gasser can be an over used word these days when they are not really gassers.

Also Vettes ran in gas from 1968 thru 1981 and many different looks. Prior to 68 they ran in modified sports which was similar to gas. If you decide on an era I can send you a copy of the NHRA rulebook so you avoid some of the problems others may make.

65pacecar, elgringo71 and bowie like this.
  11. les dearborn

les dearborn

Thank you I ve seen, Ill bet every gasser corvette picture on the net. I have had several c1 corvettes but.. no gassers or experience driving on them on the street .so while I want a look I also want some thing streetable so im looking for input

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Les. The whole discussion of Corvette gassers can conjure up some pretty lively arguments. To be streetable it may be wise to stay away from big inch small and big blocks. They can make so much power that they are not really streetable. We know you are leaning towards a straight axle but why not throw up a picture or two of what you would like to build? I would venture to say you will get enough input to make your head spin. Some responses will probably point you in the right direction. For one thing it would surely set a fire under this thread for sure.

Deuces likes this.