Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage C1 Corvette Crash in Houston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Crying shame all the way around.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. He hit that pretty hard. Must have been going too fast.

3. Since this is a car site, I’ll only address the automotive side of this. The 56-7 involved can and will be rebuilt, it would be a great start for a resto mod, race car or best yet a good ole hot rod. Pretty much every thing is a available.

4. [​IMG]
    Very sad. Single car accident. Driver was a fatality.

5. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That road is about five miles from my shop. If I'm looking at the pictures right, it's 35 MPH. It looks to be right in front of the fairgrounds across the street from the entrance to the airport. The big Conroe swap meets are right there. I don't know anything more about the situation, but it's a damn shame.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed a sad event...early in the morning..possibly groggy ..not fully awake..prayers going out...

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Reading the link police suspect possible foul play. Odd, with a single car single occupant crash.

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, the term "gunshot" pretty well takes the accident scenario out.

XXL__, 54vicky, hendelec and 5 others like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Road rage incident or he was crosswise with someone .

10. Most likely or a failed carjacking?

11. Wow.
    The link I had posted just reported the single vehicle accident and fatality. They updated the story with the shooting part.

12. raidmagic

raidmagic

This might be interesting to follow. Something far more than an accident happened here.

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, early AM drive by a Senior in his pride and joy and he ends up shot to death.
    Car wise,this article states the car is a kit car. That'll change the value and scope of a possible rebuild as it'll need a frame and body (total). That frame is probably wasted, though these typically use late model Vette drivetrains so there's some salvage value (especially if it's a new crate engine) to that along with the '57 repop trim parts.

"Keleman says the car was a replica Corvette kit car that collided head-on with a stone pillar. Allen Todd Johnson, 73, of The Woodlands, was inside."

https://abc13.com/foul-play-suspected-after-man-found-dead-at-conroe-crash-site/3985289/

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe, maybe not, actually a 'kit car'....with all the replacement chassis' is the market place, quite a lot of Vettes of this era are being refitted.

Frankly, I think that is less important than the loss of this man's life because of what appears to be a criminal action.

Ray

XXL__ and upspirate like this.
  15. Looks like a skinny bias ply and hubcap. Could be one of the corvette central bodies?

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is even possible the person suggesting it is a 'kit car' may be unaware that Corvettes are fiberglass bodied and merely assumes if fiberglass it must be a replica. Not everybody out there is a knowledgeable 'car guy'. What can be seen of the wheel cover does look like a stock Vette cover and with narrow bias ply tire, strongly hints original car. It is difficult to see the suspension in the shadow, but it doesn't look like anything 'new' or aluminum in shape or color.

Now I am caught up in ID'ing the car too.......still feel badly for the man who lost his life.

Ray

54vicky, lonejacklarry and dan31 like this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am kinda of amazed by the fact that the car came out looking better than the concrete pillar.

18. A couple pop rivets and some bondo it’ll be good to go, the wall not so much!

I do feel bad for the gentleman who was driving BUT this is a CAR site

19. The fellow that said this was a REPLICA kit car was a LT. on the police force investigating the accident. I would assume that he would know if this was a replica kit car. Come on guys ? .

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I said "maybe...maybe not"...........not yet proven beyond a reasonable doubt. If I've learned anything over the years, it's that you can't assume anything and further, the amount of misinformation passed around is huge.

Ray

'49 Ford Coupe, 54vicky and scotty t like this.
  21. papacub

papacub

22. redo32

redo32

Bob, I think you're giving too much credit to the Lt. My wife worked for the local police department for 38 years and I don't think they are any more knowledgeable about autos than the general public and they can't shoot either.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. redo32 Maybe some maybe not some a lot of cops are car guys. I'm not sticking up for them just saying. I do not wish to stand in front of one shooting at me either. Can we get back to our regular programing?

24. 54vicky

54vicky

reading the blurb it said injuries incompatible with life what the hell never heard that before.sad to read about his death as well as the damage to car.

Hnstray likes this.