Register now to get rid of these ads!

C- Clamps ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I am looking to purchase between 20 to 25 C Clamps with an opening between 6"-8". I saw some one Harbor Feight's website for 6" 4.99 and 8" 5.99... I was wondering if anyone has anyone used them and what they though of them? I am not going to tighten down very hard. (i have broken cast ones before cracking them down real tight) Just enough to hold down a frame on a jig with its being welded..

Or does anyone have some they used and really liked? If you have a link please let me know. Thank you for your time.

John

2. spot

spot
    from usa

I've got some of the horror freight clamps. Great paper weights. If you tighten them too tight the "C" will twist. Get some good forged ones, you'll be much happier.

3. Jagman

Jagman

On top of that you need the copper coated screws or weld splatter will stick too them and you can't turn the screw - don't ask me how I know!

:D

If you're using MIG with gas or Tig this pretty much isn't a problem tho...

4. If you can get 4X as many at HF prices, then buy 4X as many and spread the clamping load out. The main problem I have found with the HF grade clamps is the ball socket seizing. Oh, and make sure they're not twisted when you buy them. I've seen a few of those, too!

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

6. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Don't buy the HF ones. I just hit a lot of swapmeets and flea markets and find used 6-8 inch American made clamps all the time for any where from $2 to $5. Whenever I find them I pick them up. You can never have too many.

7. Thank you thats what I was thinking swapmeets and flea markets. Thank you for everyones input..

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've had them bend on me with only minimal pressure. I was surprised at how bad they were.

Might be ok for woodworking or something......

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I think all of my Harbor freight and Northern tool C clamps have gone to the metal recyclers. They all twisted like they were made of Pot metal. Don't waste your money.
    But forged once and be done with it.

10. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Like everyone else has said buy some good ones, I was clamping down a 6" Harbor Freight clamp and it snapped in half and hit me in the head, Hey, maybe thats whats wrong with me!......I'll never make that mistake again. Scott

11. Thanks again for the information I will be looking around swap meets and flea markets for some..

12. Homemade44

Homemade44

Do yourself a favor and get some clamps like the one in the link below. They go on sale occasionally and Enco always has some percent off or free shipping or both. There are several different brands available of this type of clamp but I only have experience with Bessey clamps. They are not cheap but they work.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-4522&PMPXNO=949746&PARTPG=INLMK32

13. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

14. I see you got the skinny on the HF clamps

Slightly better than nothing at all, but you get exactly what you pay for :
    $6.00 worth of a 80.00 clamp