Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects C a e quick change info

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tbauer, Jul 29, 2014.

1. tbauer

tbauer

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406665119.535362.jpg
    Hey Guys I'm looking for info on gearing availability on this quick change thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Are you refereeing to the change gears? About anything you could every want, what gears are you looking for? There are charts out there, you need to know your ring and pinion ratio and then you check that column in a gear chart. Also need to know the number of splines on the change gear shafts and the diameter of the change gear shafts.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've dealt with both 6 spline(V8) and 10 spline (champ) quick changes in the past.But what you're showing in your post pic is something else altogether, and like nothing I've ever seen. appears to have a hookup to an engine bell hsg with clutch throwout cross shaft like pre'49 Ford.
    To me it sorta looks like a one off piece for a rear engine car of some sort, and the synchronizer sleeve, etc appears to be either an in & out box, or some sort of 2 speed arrangement.
    Damn, I'd like to see that up close and personal.
    As an old dirt track racer, a longtime hot rodder and a 40+ yr. machinist., I can see some fine work in that piece! You've landed something rare and special, IMO.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm back, still intrigued, and wondering if it is maybe from one of the front drive Indy cars of the 30's 40's, and 50's, like the Novi cars, which were front drive, with a centrifugally supercharged 180 cid V8, and said to be capable of smoking the front tires all the way down the straights at Indy.
    What ever it came from, it was high tech for it's day, and also high dolla.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Wasn't CAE a fairly new company, maybe 1960's?
    Closest parallel I can think of is a Halibrand I saw a picture of long ago...it was a two-speed like this, and although it did not have integral bell it too was made for a rear engine car, specifically for Indianapolis. It was part of the changeover to rear engined cars set off by Ford and Lotus influence, and the two speed in the change box was simply a way to give the car a low gear in an installation with no room for the traditional trans in front. Probably the only way while incorporating the traditional champ type QC. I think the furrin Indy cars were based on road race hardware and had a full transaxle.

6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

This is not a Halibrand Indy car piece.

In the mid-70's CAE had a rear engine car in their catalog and this looks like it might have been for that application.

The rear end you have is not shown in my 1972 catalog but the sides of the change gear area are braced like other CAE QC housings. It appears to me that the in and out function was incorporated into the change gear portion of the rear end. I would think that if this was a two speed unit that the shafts would be longer.

I'm curious why there is a clutch provision when it already has an I/O.

Edit :

After taking another look at the price sheet, there were other configurations for this rear end listed but not shown in the catalog and your piece appears to be one of those.

Of most interest to you is that the catalog shows the change gears as having a different part number than the gears for CAE' s standard Q/C, but doesn't call out what the difference is. My guess would be to accomodate the the built-in I/O feature.

The catalog shows that this rear end and the standard Q/C both use the same ring and pinion part number. So you still might be able to use standard champ rear Q/C gears.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

At some point in the 70s CAE did produce some r/e cars and parts, though I don't think many were sold, pretty rare piece I suspect. The reason for both I/O and clutch was probably for tracks that required self starting.

Attached Files:

8. tbauer

tbauer

Thanks for all the info guys. The rear end belongs to a friend and I'll forward everything on to him.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!