Register now to get rid of these ads!

C-4 floor shifter Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maco-B, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Maco-B

Maco-B

My nephew and I are trying to get a chopped 49 shoebox back on the road. We have a 302 with a C-4 auto. We would like to put a floor shifter in with out a console (running a bench seat) . Anyone know if I can buy one or do I have to Fab it? Also where can we pickup a cool shifter knob?

2. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

just about any parts store carries the B&M shifter. could always try speedwaymotors.com if you dont want a muscle car looking one.

universal 3 spd auto shifters are very common and come in all shapes and sizes

3. turdytoo

turdytoo

Pinto & Early Mustang shifters used to be the norm in C-4 apllications. Easy to adapt, cheap, Work and look good.

4. Mine uses a Lokar but its in my roadster.

Attached Files:

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Pep Boys used to have a decent one. If they still have it, I'm sure they've jacked the price up. Used to be $30! Its a copy of a Hurst Indy but it works really well for what youre trying to do.

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

We're installing a Lokar 23" Nostalgia shifter in my friend's '50 sedan (mild custom) . He's running a bench seat also . Sorry no pics of the shifter yet ...

I'll probably do something similar in my '49 Coupe when the time comes . It's a pretty nice shifter .

Here's what the shifter looks like :
    http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/23in-nostalgia-shifter.htm

7. Master of None

Master of None

+1 for Lokar,have one in my truck nice solid shift pattern and park lock out.

8. hellbird

hellbird

Gennie shifter
    Gambino Kustomz

9. There are a lot of factory shifters out there, many bolt straight unto the floor like the Pinto/mustang. I've used volvo and chrysler mini vans, once in the car just extend or shorten the lever so its pretty much horizontal and in line with the tranny shifter arm. Fab a rod and you're good to go. Early Datsuns 720 series are almost identical to pintos. And if you look around there are all sorts of cable shifters that will make it even simpler just be sure and build a cable clamp once again inline coming off the tranny.