Register now to get rid of these ads!

byuing a us car from canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi rodder, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hemi rodder
    it's good to hear that you DID get your car home. The struggle is usually with the Canadian side and their import regulations. And anything 1930's and older being difficult to ensure body VIN's to paperwork.
    I have heard of rumours where parts have gone to Canada impound and then to destruction, as U.S. won't return what they cleared as exported.
    The border is a welcome place to come pay tax on NEW ONLY, all else... well ya takes yer chances?!?

2. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I like the three day rule at he border. I live within sight of a bridge border crossing into Canada and have lots of Canadian rodder friends. When they buy a car over here they know, they can leave it in my garage for the three day paperwork period. I get some cool ride to check out for a few days, everything from a 620 h.p. Mercedes, to a cool '62 Oklahoma Ford wagon, to a '66 Hemi Charger among others BenD even dropped off a '49 Merc front clip here for a Canadian rodder. Anyone crossing into Canada over the Blue Water Bridges in Port Huron Mi. is welcome to store a car here if they need to.

3. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buddy bought a car 8 weeks ago in the US, finally just got it into Canada last week. He did everything right but when he got to US customs, they could not find the VIN# on the car and he had to return it to the seller. They had been held in detention for over 5 hours. The seller finally found the number on the frame and had a legal VIN plate attached. The second time at the border, no problem with US customs but when he went to pay the tax based on the receipt, he was told they would call in their appraiser who showed up 4 hours later. An old copy of an ad for the car was found under the seat and the discrepancy between the receipt and the selling price was finally fessed up. Tax was charged on the additional amount as well as a fine of 50% on the cheated amount. This was a very substantial fine. The car now rests in Canada.

wuga

4. parklane

parklane

The reason for the 72 hour rule is so they can check if there is a lien against the vehicle. I've brought stuff into Canada doing the 72 hour thing, and not doing it. Was told that if you skip that step, and you go back into the US, and for some reason get pulled into the US customs, you may loose your wheels.

5. jambottle

jambottle

I hope the guys giving advise here, have actually brought back some cars!the advise I gave is for the maritimes.i guess other parts of Canada have different rules?

6. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

i am sure many times it depends wich border crossing you go true and who you get to serve you.