Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration B'ville, red hats, congat's and geting off your ass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brickster, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Brickster

Brickster

Today Speedweek 2010 ended and for me so does a chapter in my life. I began going to Bonneville in 2003 and was instantly inspired. That first experience was fantastic, it must have shown because since then I have been able to inspire others to visit the salt and it has become a yearly reunion of sorts for a group of us that all have some tie to Laramie, WY. Each annual visit has lost a little something as the spectator in me dies and the competitor in me wants out.

For the last few years I have been watching Norris Anderson's 1949 Studebaker pick-up run and this year he pushed that truck to 219mph. That earned him a spot in the 200mph club and I couldn't happier for him. I don't know Norris and have only briefly spoke with him each year for a few minutes but he has answered many questions I had and seems to be a great guy. Congratulations to him and his crew. I hope to challenge his record in the future and I know it will be no small feat.

Link to Norris Anderson's Hot Rod magazine feature
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1002_1949_studebaker_truck/index.html

So this is it. I will no longer return to Bonneville without a "racecar" even if it is only under construction. I will not stand by and see records set without a player in the game. I will work to build a AA modified pick-up, with a little style, a little class and plan to go as fast as possible.

I'm ending this post with a quote I first heard in "The Worlds Fastest Indian". It sums up my feelings about myself being a Bonneville spectator.

"It is not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or the doer of deeds could have them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the Arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but he who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls, who know neither victory nor defeat." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Attached Files:

2. lbrunkala

lbrunkala

Good Luck, I wish you well. I too went out to Bonneville this year, my first time. It was everthing I expected and more. It isn't very hard to get the bug to race. When I was there I called my friend and told him we need to get going on something to race. I'm not sure if mine will have 4 or 2 wheels though. Keep us posted on your race project. Larry

3. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

DO THIS. you will not be sorry. Its an awesome feeling running wide open on the long course and your vehicle sliding all over the place looking for traction. Alot of people have talked about racing at Bonneville but very few have attempted to race. the journey is long and can be expensive.I set a record back in 03 on a bike didnt get a red hat but still went 195.271 mph two way average 1350/ M-BG there is nothing else out there to give you this kind of rush. It is not EASY. lots of things happen. stay the course and you can accomplish your goal .

4. blt2go

blt2go

i admire your conviction and wish you all the rewards of a true competitor. that quote is near and dear to my heart. thanks to you my "fun" driver may now become the racecar it was meant to be. wishing you the best of your dreams.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Good luck with your efforts, and kudos again to fellow Stude lover and Kansan Norris Anderson!

6. Great quote! TR is one of my favorites. Good luck out on the salt and don't give up.

7. Brickster

Brickster

One weekend down and no progress yet. What am I waiting for?