Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buying my first set of tires for the 54 chevy need advice...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Mar 3, 2015.

1. saints

saints

Ok on my 54 chevy bel-air now is 205/60r/15
    Im going to spring for some wide whites from coker. question is how wide can I go on my 54. How wide do the 54 chevy guys run? the ones I want are 255/75r/15 so wider and taller. I would hate to get tires in mounted and find out they dont fit.
    First time having to venture out in the tire world so advice appreciated. Would calling coker help? would they know what would fit?

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I would definitely contact the folks at Coker for their advice. Have done so myself and have found them very helpful.

Pete

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

255/75? Is that a typo? No way will those tires fit. I have 205/75-15 on my car and they are perfect.

4. Slopok

Slopok

255/75x15 would be HUGE. I know that you're asking about a Chevy but on my Merc I have 215/75x15 Diamondbacks.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

ditto on the 670s

glendale and Moriarity like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6.70 15's , bias ply

glendale likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

saints - post a pic of your ride, and give some info on why wanting the size tire that you said that you want to run.

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Hold off buying tires until you've got a better idea where you are going with your restyle. Different styles, different eras call for different size tires and whitewall widths. Also, you'll need to make a major decision between radials and bias ply tires. Each has its pluses and minuses. Better to do your homework before spending your hard-earned bread.

10. saints

saints

[​IMG]
    oops sorry been looking at tires to long. im looking at coker classics 235/75r/15. with a 3 1/8 white wall. Im going to build the car as a hotrod. I wanted to stay away from the bias ply due to the ruff nature. right now the car has 205/60r/15 and they are wore out and have no white wall. I cant seem to find a tire close with a 3" white wall

11. I would not go larger then 235x70 on the rear and 215x70 on the front.

12. saints

saints

yea Im looking at diamondback and they have 205/70r/15 in a 3" white wall. I may go that route and they are a tad cheaper. love coker but they just don't have what im looking for unfortunately

13. saints

saints

what size are your white walls and were did you get them?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never yet figured out why the young guys think that the huge oversize whitewall tires look presentable on old cars. I'm not talking wide white walls but those frigging five size too tall tires that don't fit the car or the wheel wells just so they can have more white wall than the dude town the street but can't turn the front wheels because they rub. I guess they like that loony toon look of the cars on the cartoons from the old days.
    This is the GM herritage link for 54 Chevy specs https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Chevrolet/1954-Chevrolet.pdf Scroll down the page and you find that the stock tire is a 6.70 15 that equates to a 205 15 in a radial. Optional was a 7.10 15 for Station wagons and heavy use.
    Look here and you will see that all of the best looking ones stock or custom have tires pretty close to a stock 6.70 15 size on them no matter what the width of the whitewall. https://www.google.com/search?q=195...LE8HsoATdooHYBQ&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=655

saints likes this.
  15. It has to do with bigger being better. Its like if you and me are going to the disco I am going to strap a peperoni to my leg before I put on my leisure suit. I want everyone to know that I have the biggest. ;)

It really hasn't changed much since you and I were kids. You remember the guys with the inline 6s in say a '59 Chebby and the cut out quarters so they could run N-60s on the rear don't you?

Personally I have never been a big fan of wide whites, not my generation I guess. For me it is pinners or black walls and more often then not black walls. Even on a custom. To me wide whites are like soooo 20 minutes ago. ;)

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

Mine are 205/75 R15 Toyo radials from Diamond Back. I can't remember the exact whitewall width but I paid extra to extend them a quarter inch beyond DB's standard" wide wall. They look great on the car, but do not fool anyone who cares about bias plys.
    (I have had enough cars with bias ply tires on them to last me a lifetime and don't care.)