Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects buying a car from distance. what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Oct 25, 2013.

1. High5

High5

Respect the seller's wishes and hope it's there in two weeks. Fate sometimes works in wierd ways. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

2. metalman

metalman

I understand where the seller is coming from, I won't take a deposit on anything I sell for any longer then the next banking day if it's on a weekend and the buyer needs to get all the funds together. Why take a chance on losing a maybe all the cash tommorrow deal just to help a buyer out in his situation? I always go with cash talks, first one with the cash wins.
    The guy might still honor your offer and told your buddy he's firm thinking he's got your offer as a backup, might as well try to make a couple extra bucks waiting a couple weeks for you.
    Since it sounds like it's a local truck here if there is anything I can do to help let me know, be glad to set eyeballs on it for you or whatever.

3. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

What I do is offer the seller an incentive to hold it. In other words, offer $100 MORE than his asking price if he will hold it for two weeks. Make it worth his while.

4. I pretty well do that every time I buy something.
    Whether it be groceries, a newspaper a bill payment or whatever.:)

5. MrBullet

MrBullet

In my dealings, a person that will not take a deposit to hold it until you get there has usually misrepresented his unit and knows you will see that, so when you show up to pay the rest and then back out he may have missed a sale from a local sucker. I would have to have a ton of photos before I would drive 500 miles on a chance that its what someone says it is. Last week my older brother caused me to drive 3 1/2 hours to look at a 1957 Cameo, the pictures he took made the truck look pretty good, when i got there you could throw a cat thru the roof and the rest was junk.

6. MrBullet

MrBullet

amen brother !!!!!!!

7. davidh73750

davidh73750

as mr. miagui said patience grass hopper. well I waited and it paid off.
    Actually Lee Chamberlin from ark citys Kool rides hooked me up. This truck has a rust free cab, fenders are off because they were just repaired guy took my deposit said no problem and if something goes wrong I'll give it back to you. 120 miles away. win win

Attached Files:

• f1a.JPG
      f1a.JPG
      File size:
      286.2 KB
      Views:
    • f1b.JPG
      f1b.JPG
      File size:
      297.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Awesome!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Looks like your the winner. Cool truck!

10. Good for you,,everything worked out like it should as for the guy that wouldn't take a deposit,,it would me interesting to call him in a couple of weeks to see if it sold............I bet it hasn't. :rolleyes: HRP

11. metalman

metalman

I went and looked at the original truck discussed here and yeah, glad you waited Dave. The blue one pictured above looks much better! Truck here wasn't terriable, it did have a good cab with solid floors and a better then average bed but the front fenders and running boards were junk, back fenders fixable but rough. And yeah HRP, he still has it and at his asking price he will for awhile, I think it's worth half of what he wants. He should of took the deposit but then Dave would of been the loser!
    FWIW I think anyone buying a project long distance really MUST have someone put an eyeball on it for them.

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

I was just getting ready to call you back Terry! I greatly appreciate it.

13. You should call him and think him for saving you money! HRP

14. davidh73750

davidh73750

some more pics from my camera. back passenger fender may need replaced but overall a nice truck, less distance, less money and more truck

Attached Files:

15. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I had a 65 collector motorcycle for sale for $100 on Chrags list. First caller said he would be right over to pick it up. Second caller said he would buy it but I told him that someone else is on his way to pick it up. Third caller same story but I did take down all thier phone #s,

First guy shows up and notes that it dosn't look too good and refuses it.

Called second guy, he rushes over and trys to beat me up on the price and refuses it.

Third guy puts it in his truck and proudley states that it is the best buy he has ever seen.

First guy calls back next day and says that he wants it. I told him that it is sold and the new buyer has it running and it drives well!

Moral of the story, be polite but take the cash when it is in hand and save wasteing the whole day.