Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buy Em or Build Em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodenmerc, Dec 21, 2011.

1. woodenmerc

woodenmerc
    from East B. F.

For some of us senior members, who still dream of a 32 five window or three window, the question becomes one of time. Do we have the time and ability to put together the rod of our dreams? or do you just say the hell with it and buy one? Given the economy is buying one the smarter choice? just a thought.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, got your eye on a '32? depends on a lot of stuff - if you check out the work Gene Winfield does age is is no problem. individual skills is another thing. there are pro's and con's on each side of the discussion.

3. Build it!
    But I'm only 26...

4. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I've done both. ALWAYS happier with the ones I build!

5. I'd have to say you could buy one cheaper and easier than building it. Here's the thing though, you are buying someone else's build, their mistakes, shortcuts, and latent skeletons or paying because the builder took care of them.and is selling a no excuses car.

Maybe the car is flawless, $$$BIG MONEY $$$ to get in.

Maybe its an ok driver with normal wear & tear that was So&So's car for decades. & now you want to change it $$$ again

Maybe it was built as cheap as possible for the sole purpose of profit maximization. You can build it exactly like that and save yourself some$$$

If you find exactly and I mean everything exactly as you would do it but only better than you can do it then buy it.

6. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Well said, Totally agree!

7. If you think you'll die before you get one built, then buy.

I'll never be able to afford a '32 but for me, the building is the fun.
    I'm kinda disappointed when the project is finished.

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If I had the money, I'd buy one. But I have infinitely more respect for owners who built their own

9. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I prefer to build my own

10. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Hey, listen, I'm 67, live in a development with small two car garages, sold my welding and many other tools years ago when laid off. Just bought a '29 Tudor, chopped, running sbc, upholstered, etc. Sure, there were a few things done wrong but were fixed for very little. Yes, I would have done some things differently if I had built it from the ground up but I can live with what I have, make some changes to make it my own and the hell with those who think you have to do it yourself. If they get their kicks from scrounging parts, cutting, welding, etc., etc. good for them. Me, I'm cruisin' and listening to the music from my high school years and having a ball. Lots of projects get started but never finished and I don't have time to start all over. If one of you hotshots can turn back the clock about 30 years for me, I'll go the other way. By the way, I'm not a rookie, chopped a Mod A Tudor back when it was done only with gas and hammer welding, assembled motors, wired, done body work.........I've paid my dues, now I want to enjoy it.

Attached Files:

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'm relatively old(65) and still enjoy building hot rods.. Maybe some day I'll buy one done, but I hope that's a long way off........

12. movingviolation

movingviolation

Economy makes it cheaper to buy than build right now...... but, building is your car-your ideas..

13. woodenmerc

woodenmerc
    from East B. F.

Thanks, I'm 65 and your points are appreciated.

14. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

build it!when you stop livin' for today, you start dyin' today.

15. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I like building myself, wouldn't want anyone else working on my cars. But as I get older, the body does't move in all the right directions to get the job done.

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 68 still like to build em but would buy one if it was about half / two thirds done with good parts--alot of cool projects out there sitting due to this economy at good prices, hard to sell a car that is not finished-then take it from there--know where there are a couple right now.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Buy Em or Build Em?

yes.

18. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Doesn't matter what other people think. If you have the means to buy one, and you find one you like, go ahead and buy it.

19. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Buy mine

Attached Files:

20. Tony

Tony

I build all my own stuff..but.....
    If age, health or even time was an issue then overall i see nothing wrong with buying.
    My biggest problem with buying is the time spent fixing the problems that arise from possible shoddy work...
    It seems there are a LOT of cars out there that look great but are by far not what meets the eye, OR they are simply misrepresented to make a sale.
    So a guy could decide to buy for whatever reason he has, then end up with a can of worms in repairs etc on his hands that still do not allow him to drive it.
    I've been there once and had i not been able to rebuild what i bought i would have been screwed..as would anyone who would have bought it without the ability or time etc.......

It's a tough call. If buying turns out to be the only reasonable option for whoever, i'd just make sure that whatever it is they choose to buy is a proven vehicle that can do whats expected so they would not spend years rebuilding it...after buying a "great driving super reliable car that needs nothing"

And the whole "if you didn't build it it's not cool" deal means nothing..some guy's just have no other choice but to buy.

Just my 2 cents

Tony

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  21. find one that makes you happy and tweek it till its yours ,weather its a ground up or a "finished " ride , purrfection is in the eye of the owner , if ya like it and it works for you ..... do it ,

22. flathead okie

flathead okie

I'm 56, bought an unfinished one. Frame & engine done by pro, and most of the other parts to finish, that came with it, are new also. Needs a little body work, paint, wiring, and tires to go. I'm happy.

23. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Now my Dad is 68 and we are building him a 55 Chevy now this is a off frame build. He would not have it any other way. He always said the build is half the fun. Now I'm 39 and my son is 16 so we do it all our self, from body & paint to motor and trans. Now that said if I can buy one cheap i buy it drive it and flip it if theres a buck to be made. Its all in how you look at things.

24. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I don't have the time and the ability is being honed, but I'm still giving it a shot.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think if I couldnt build my own cars, I'd pack it in. Time to take up knitting.

26. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

27. genosslk

genosslk

I'm 61.... I just traded a great driver '53 Ford customline for a builder 39 Ford two door sedan. I like drivers, but I love to build 'em even more. I have sold every car I've built (about a dozen or so through the years) just to build another car. I love the build processes. Will this '39 be the last? I doubt it! So...... pick what suits you best. If you have the time for a build... do it, if you would rather drive, buy it! Pretty simple I think.

28. roadster36

roadster36
    from Sonoma

If you can find what you are looking for or close to it buy one done. I have built quite a few and in the last few years you can buy a done one for half what it takes to build one yourself. I bought three in the last year that would have been unaffordable 10 years ago. With $15,000 paint jobs,$7,500 interiors, and huge bills for chrome, parts, etc. it doesn't make sense to do it yourself any more. There are plenty of 100K cars out there for sale for less than half the build cost right now. It just shows the state of the economy. Parts,labor,shipping, etc. have not gone down so it makes even less sense now to build a car unless it is your lifelong dream car. Anyone who drops serious cash on a car these days and doesn't look at the bottom line is making a huge mistake. Just my .02 cents. Been there, done that, and was very lucky along the way.

29. snelson57

snelson57

My issue is a bit different...not age, just time. I came to the realization that my project wont make the street next year, either. Too many competing priorities.

So...I am buying one that I like to drive while I build the one I love.

Neither is a high dollar car, so it works for me. And if anyone has a problem with me driving a car that I paid for, I really dont care.

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I just turned 68...this Spring I just finished up my '55 Cadillac after a 5 1/2 year build, go here to see it:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

Yeah, yeah, I know it's not a '32...but then again, a '32 Ford does nothing for me, there's no attraction there In May, I pulled my '60 Pontiac wagon into my garage and redid the engine/tranny/interior...I got to drive it last month. Waiting for me is a '60 Chevy two door wagon...I'll drop in the 454"/T-400 sitting under my bench in that...and then waiting for me out in the shed is a '48 Cadillac Sedanet...

Oh, did I mention I have a heated and A/C six car garage I work out of...and every day I'm out there is therapy and I don't worry much about the grim reaper...I figure I've got another 20-25 years...

So, if you're anything like me...build it and enjoy building it...!!!
    R-

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011