Register now to get rid of these ads!

Butyl Rubber and Sound Deadening

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert_t_wallace, Dec 29, 2011.

1. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

I have been doing a lot of research on Sound and thermal products for my mustang and to update some of the reviews out there. Lots of debates over Liquid deadeners and the thin layer of rubberized asphalt and/or Butyl compound with a constraining layer of aluminum foil. companies such as Fatmat, Dynamat and Second Skin all the way to the Big Box building products. In the research, I saw a video that Ant made where he showed his warehouse full of large rolls of the product that appear to get cut to smaller sizes for the consumer. He also made reference that Second Skin got started for $700. This got me thinking and doing a bit more research.. My big question was whether these companies actually made thier own products and research or did the buy in bulk and repackage with thier branding. The big differences in the products seems to be the level of Butyl Rubber and Thickness in the foil and the rubber compound. Reading the Sound Deadner Showdown review (and now he has his own products), Does anyone know where these people are buying (or where you could buy) in bulk? The quote to do my car is around $600. I would be willing to buy in bulk and sell the extra online.

Anyone have any insight to where these products might be coming from??

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011