Register now to get rid of these ads!

Butt weld clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dale Fairfax, May 2, 2011.

1. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

After reading several times about H.F.'s bargain priced clamps, I finally decided to go buy some. These are the ones Eastwood calls "intergrips" at $29.99 for a pack of 4. Well, nobody in the H.F. store recognized my sample but we looked in the welding supply dept anyway. No dice. Came home and searched H.F.'s stock on the website-still no dice. (I was going to make some-had the little 18 ga piece with the square hole burnt out on a friend's laser cutter-but thought after reading H.F.'s price on here "It ain't worth the trouble". Has anybody actually seen them at H.F. lately?

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

3. Fenders

Fenders

I bought a pack of 8 at the HF in Yuma Arizona a year ago, HF item 44751

4. Dale, they are like the welding spoon, sometimes they have it and sometimes they dont. When they dont have them, it seems no one there knows what the heck your talking about. TR

5. ironpile

ironpile

I built a set of 8,not much of a problem,if you can weld small pieces.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

7. Yep, I saw them last week

8. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

Where'd you see them last week? I went to both the Parma and Eastlake stores and nada. They said even the warehouse was out.

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

10. the-rodster

the-rodster

They have them at the HF in BG, KY......

[​IMG]

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

There's also this kind available from Roseville Rod & Custom:

Attached Files:

13. I've been hitting up all the Harbor Freight stores here in the Denver area for some of these for months and I've yet to find any. They're always out of stock.............E

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

They sell them on eGay all day long...

15. Parma store, had them in my hand. My bad it was 12 days ago not last week. I was going to grab a few more decided not to.
    They had them in a place that didn't make sense, I can't remember where. Down low around shin high, I was pissed I bent down to grab them just to put them back.

16. evintho

evintho

My local HF doesn't stock 'em anymore. They're simple to make and they take no time at all! Knock out a dozen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. I bet that round pin works better than the square one some places.

18. The ones with longer bottom pins look like they work easier/better. I bought some HF units but the short square bar falls out too easy. I think I'll look for some square stock and cut 3-4" ones and see if they work better.

Charlie

19. I was thinking on peening or center punching the square so it don't fall out.

20. slepe67

slepe67

definately dont buy them! For the price of 6 at Eastwood, you can make about 50 yourself! Just my $0.02. I bought some, then literally the next day, I read a thread in here on how to make them. Sold those to a buddy, and made my own. Loaned those out, now its time to make more.

21. evintho

evintho

Yeah, it does work well. It's just a large nail with the head cut off.

22. qubit

qubit
    from Las Vegas

As of today, Eastwood has their Intergrip Butt Weld Welding Panel Clamps in a set of (4) for $9.99 with free shipping- good 'til Jun 03, 201106:50:14 PDT.

At $2.50 per to your door, it's hardly worth your (my) time to make. 1 less project- priceless.

Go here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastwood-Intergrip-Butt-Weld-Welding-Panel-Clamps-Set-/360364309923?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53e762fda3

23. Cshabang

Cshabang

I had my buddy laser out something similar for me in a bunch of sizes....I didnt even know they carried these. Mine arent as fancy though haha

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And this guy sells HF ones and more than doubles his money. 400213821373

I found them at the Richland, Wa store and bought 3 packets of them about six months ago but didn't look for any the other day. They do leave the gap a bit wide for my tastes though.

I'm not setup to make them at home without doing everything but cutting the tubing to length by hand so that isn't a real good option for me.

25. gsport

gsport

that looks like a good project the next time i feel like tinkering with something....

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha, great idea. So... explain what happens after you get your panel tacked in place? :D

27. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Looks/sounds like finishing the "homemade" ones I had started will actually be "worth the trouble" after all. And the hard part is already finished.

28. bct

bct

i used wide steel strapping/banding like the stuff from a lift of 2x4s......

[​IMG]

you can see the bottom two that use a cut slot for a small piece of banding for the backer....they work well with anything with a compound curve....

29. Really? I don't know, lets see- you do both sides of center - and ill just do one side of center on the square stock. I think it will work out just great
    Shhhh don't tell the secret lol