Register now to get rid of these ads!

burned out!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FORDOLE500, Jul 11, 2006.

1. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

any one here ever get burned out on cars, hot rods, the scene what ever, or just had alot of hard times because cars take you away from your family(wife or kids). My wife likes the cars some what but hates to here about them all the time. when my friends are around thats all we talk about. I love cars and finally got the car I have wanted for along time and now i am feeling burned out and am thinking of selling my deuce. dont know what to do!!!!

2. socal_wrench

socal_wrench

Hey Man I feel your Pain.. My wife can handle about five seconds of car talk around her and she gets irritated.

I have just been taking it slow on my project. Trying like hell not to let it interfear with HER time. And I am actually enjoying working on the Car again.

3. Sell that Duece, cheap...I'll be right there :D

I think a lot of people get burnt out...take a little time off and see how you feel before doing anything drastic.

Bryan

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

calm down,don't do anything drastic! :eek:
    we will get you through this.
    there's no reason your hobby should take you away from your family,unless you can't fit them all into the car and take'em out for a burger or the drive-in movies.
    if you can't fit everybody into the car,think about getting a different (larger) car.

6. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

Yeah - I just tore up the rear-end in the Bel Air, it was scheduled to be replaced but not nearly this soon. So far this year I've built a new motor, a new transmission and now the dif is shot. Seems like I drive the car a week at a time and then park it for weeks while I rebuild something. I'm buying a driver and taking a little break (from breaking things).

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Ask yourself. "When it comes to my wife and my kids and my car which do I love the most?" When it comes to priorities, you already know the right answer. Just make up your mind to allocate time to all three and if your wife and kids can get involved with your car project, all the better. Meantime, take a break from working on your cars, don't sell the deuce and spend time where it really counts.

8. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

I never get burned out on cars, just the lame people that are around them.

If you get burned out on cars, you just need to get more.

9. Don't sweat it. If you are feeling truly burned out, sell the deuce and invest some time in your wife and family for a while. Everybody needs a break once in a while, and family is always more important that a hobby. And don't worry---if you get out of the game for a while. Hot-rodding is like Herpes---it may clear up once in a while, but it always comes back!!!

10. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

I Hear Ya My Wife Thought The Car Thing Was Something I Would
    Outgrow I Work On Them For A Living And The Only Mags In The House Are Hot Rod Related Ive Never Stopped Since I Was A Little Kid My Father Started It By Bying Hotwheels Ansd Tonkas Before I Was Born Still Have Them All Thanks Pop Its Bad To Think This Way
    But The Women Will Come And Go But The Cars Will Always Be There For You Its In Your Heart What They Cant Take Away

11. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Dont Get Me Wrong Weve Been Toghther For 14 Years But After Devoting 95% Of All My Time To Everthing Else Ive Been Working On My Roadster For 8 Years Now It Gets Really Frustrating

12. Mootz

Mootz

If my truck stays in the garage for a few weekends in a row, some think I'm crazy because there are places to go. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who doesn't mind me owning the old truck so to keep her around, I elect to spend time with her also. It's all a balancing act. The truck is paid for and will be there later, the family may not be some day. Take a break, let it sit for a while, do something else and most importantly, have fun.

Mootz

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Of course we have. Do......not.......sell.......it.

I'm building one of the cars I've always wanted as well........for the third time. I kick myself regularly every time something (sometimes just adjusting a screw will do it) reminds me of the two previous starts I gave up on. I could have been driving'er for over 25 years already.

Pack it away if you have to but don't quit on'er. I haven't done any primary work on my other dream car for over a year due to a seemingly endless progression of circumstances but I've learned my lesson, she's waiting there for me when the time's right again. And you might be surprised to hear just how often that little fact alone has bouyed me up through some other hard time as well.

I'm certain this'll sound absurd to some but I feel our dream cars have personalities (if not souls) grown from our own caring and die in some small way when we quit on'em. Of course it's only anthropomorphization but the feeling's there none the less. So it's simply for your own emotional good to stick with'er through the thin spots too. After all, you owe it to your family and friends to be your best for them don't you?

Practice delivering this sincerely; "Honey, I wouldn't quit on YOU, would I?" :D

Humor aside, if it's what you want, save it for better times and moods. That way you won't have to start from scratch again.

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Park the Deuce for a while ... or find a better wife ... :rolleyes:
    Seriously ... if you park the Deuce for a while ... you and her both can appreciate the times better. I have let my old Deuce sit for months at a time ... no biggie ...

It is still mine ... and it's there ... waiting for me to pay it a little attention ...
    I have gotten to the point a time or two in the past 30 years of ownership that I felt I did not need it anymore, was not using it ECT ... but then I would get it out and clean it up and I was in LOVE again ..

DO NOT sell ... or do something stupid ... back off ... cool down ... things get better ...

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Had the same problem, My solution I am now single and raising my daughter myself and loving every minute of it !!! Sometimes I miss her tho.

16. extremist

extremist

Try some balance, dude.
    Back off obsessing about getting things on your car(s) done by ridiculous deadlines that would mean you having to use up entire weekends and weeknights.
    Cut back a little and give that time to your wife. Sounds like she's pretty good about it anyway. It's your hobby and a part of you and as long as she sees she's a priority, and she's cool, you're good.

17. 55Monterey

55Monterey

I am burned out right now. We have a new house with lots of yard work to take care of. The Merc is parked in the garage and covered so I won't see it.

18. CptKaos

CptKaos

maybe you should take up knitting or collecting antique dolls,sheesh, what a lame assed post

Larry

19. KarlsKustom

KarlsKustom

Always remember, the deuce isn't going to pack up and leave if it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

20. RETTER

RETTER

Girls need attention-thats how they are wired. So if you want a girl you got to show attention. They dont like it when they think the car is more important than them. Rear Ends and curves are good on carc & chicks but the car won't leave (unless you park in the driveway in neutral) the girl will. So take care of her first. As for me i never get burned out on the cars,just some of the sucky people who get into the car scene.......

21. rstysht

rstysht
    BANNED

Yeah, I remember you wanting to sell that sedan a month or 2 ago.

22. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

i dont have a sedan i have a 5 wd coupe and i havent tried to sell it yet

23. I feel your pain, I made a previous car of mine my life for 5 years. I sunk abotu 25k into a car that when sold only made me 4000 bucks because I totalled it. I didn't realize until after it was gone how many mistakes I had made and how many things I missed because that car was my life and close to before I was wrecked I was getting tired of it. I'm 30 now, working 2 jobs renting a duplex with my pregnant fiance barely getting by. My priorities have changed alot and even though i'd love to have another car to fix up I know its not possible and that my fiance's health and my child thats coming soon will be my life and i'm gonna see to them having a good life as my top priority, and its actually refreshing. This was a choice I made that 90% of my past "friends" didn't agree with and I no longer have those "friends". Anyway sometimes you just need a change in pace to make you look at life differently.

Oh and for the people that would like to know...I was an import car owner for the last 5 years and spent my time fixing up a 240sx...and the friends I had were a bunch of jackasses who cared more about my damn car being wrecked than the fact that I found out I was going to be a Dad. Anyway I've come back to the area of cars i've always been more fond of than anything and one day i'll have the cash again to build my dream track roadster or model a

Gray

p.s. sorry to hi-jak the thread..but I just wanted to say i've been there...and I know how it feels...

24. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

AND the Duce won't run over your toes for looking at other cars!

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Nope, never in the over 25 years of doing this have I felt burnned out. One of the many nice things about Michigan is during the winter months you can take a break from all the car stuff and concentrate on other important things in your life. Might I suggest, like many others already have, to just take a break and concentrate on your family. After all, they should ALWAYS come first.

26. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

...and if you ignore it for a couple weeks, you won't return to it only to find some other guy driving it! HAWHAWHAW!!!!

Seriously, I've "burned out" several times. You just leave it alone for a while, and the feelings come back. If they don't, then unload it and move on to something you do care about. Just be thankful it's not a horse; with them, you have to continue to feed them and shovel up shit even when you're not riding them.

27. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

What you need to do is get your wife a new hobby like....offshore sport fishing or big game hunting. Yeah, that's it, a new 35-36' sportfisherman or a few hunderd acres in the wilderness complete with cabin and lake. Naw...how about you take up a new hobby like...alcoholizm or drug addiction.

Seriously, if small children are involved, it's almost impossible to have a hobby like this...done that. Sounds like you got the summer time blues and just need a little down time. I'd like to say sell the rod for the broad but I did that too. Sold my cars, sold my guitars, sold some of my guns...all for her. I've been divorced now for 10 years so my point is...selling the rod won't matter. She feels threatened that you are spending all your time and money on the car, guitar, whatever. Put a cover on it for a few months..it'll be OK!;)

28. KarlsKustom

KarlsKustom

Nor will the deuce take half of your worldly belongings.

29. FuelFC

FuelFC

Moderation. If you take too many drugs you will be an addict. Take it just a little slower.

Take care of her if she is worth taking care of. She must have been something you wanted, like the car? Spend time with all of the issues. 50/50 remember? Your space and her space. You get the garage or parking spot and she gets the house.

Unless of course you are married to Denise then she gets the house and the shop and you might get to ride in the car if she lets you! LOL.

1) Make a date night for her (NO CAR TALK)
    2) Talk to her and communicate about the car stuff.
    3) Work on it. The car, her, the family. It can be done.

Car talk in the playhouse and play house in the house ;). Unless of course she is into the playhouse kinda stuff!!! And no car parts in the bedroom! Ask me how I know that one.

30. Burny

Burny

Hang in there Fordole500...It's a balancing act. My wife tolerates my cars...she really liked it when I had a custom, so I'm looking for one now. Take a break for a few weeks and it will fresh again when you get
    back to it...