Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Burned bone yard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baspinall, Aug 6, 2016.

1. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Working at a scrap yard in Utah last week. The bone yard next door had a 5 alarm fire. Torched most of the yard. A lot of old stuff mixed through. Bum deal as the owner was one of those guys who wouldn't sell.

Attached Files:

2. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Rambler in the middle of the fire had no damage ...... weird.
    Panoramic view as well. Blow that up and you can really see what was in there.

Attached Files:

3. Bumm-errrr.Accident or ?????.

4. So he wouldn't sell and now all he has is scrap metal for the yard next door.HRP

weps likes this.

5. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

Ummmm, Christine is the only other car that I know of that could survive a fire like that. Better keep an eye on that Rambler.....just saying.

weps likes this.
  6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

it's a shame, but it serves him right.

weps likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never knew Port-A-Johns were fireproof till now. Bob

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a lot of possible dreams went up in smoke too - one Hel_ of a burn pile - so, is he going to sell the Rambler?

9. metalman

metalman

What is in the storage tank under the shed by the fence, looks like it could of got a lot worse if it was flammable.
    Is weird about the Rambler. Moved there after the fire?

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the looks of things the weeds;cheet grass must have been pretty thick in that yard. As much space is between most of them the fire didn't jump from car to car without help.

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"owner was one of those guys who wouldn't sell".

I'll never understand the psyche of the wrecking yard owners who run a business that 'sells car parts', however, they refuse to sell car parts (or price them so astronomically high, that they're essentially NOT for sale).
    I'll take a stab at it;
    Though they make good money flipping car parts (from other people's misfortunes!) they seem to have an inner mistrust of their potential customers. They fear someone will purchase something and actually flip it themselves. It's as if they deserve every buck from 'their' part.
    It's sort of like the antique store or boutique that is so highly priced that they never really sell anything. It's a walk through museum display. The proprietor gets their satisfaction not by sales, but by attention; watching their visitors drool over everything and then gasp at the price tag or verbal price quote when they inquire about something. Possessive. Maybe part hoarder as well.
    When the wrecker that "doesn't sell" finally sells something. It's at a high enough price (150% of market) that he's confident you're a sucker and there's absolutely zero possibility you can profit from him after buying it. Meaning, there's zero chance that he will suffer any embarrassment from the deal.

weps, baspinall and squirrel like this.
  12. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I'd still haul out that Power Wagon up front.

treb11 likes this.
  13. I think you are exactly right. I'm always broke, but still I'm a Craig's List junky. I just like to window shop for old cars and bikes, watch them sit for awhile then sell, or pop back up a year later. I find it educational. In the past few years there are a lot of junkyards around here getting in the business of selling "project cars" for big $$$. Most aren't all that desirable and are too far gone to justify rehabbing them. I think you hit the nail on the head there. Also some yard owners might think that they have held onto cars so long they need to have a return on that investment, but I think they are nuts and I can't see anyone ponying up $5k for some clapped out 50's sedan. My 2 cents

14. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I was told it was a pile of skids that started the fire. I'll be back out there in a week or so for work (I'm in PA). Thinking of talking to the guy. I'm sure he will say "I have to wait for the insurance bla bla". There' s a nice 55 Chevy up front and some F1's. In areas he didn't have enough room he just stacked them on top of each other partly crushing them in the process????? Don't get it.

15. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I think "020 is moderately flammable materials"