Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects burned 55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 72hd, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

I nearly toasted the 55 ive had since 1976.Thought I'd start back on it ,get it running.& cruise around this fall.Here it goes-new points cond &roter check plugs ect. prime carb-hit the switch-cranks slow-weak battery charge batt & try again ,hits & sputters -flooded hold gas to floor hits,coughs backfires,flames up to hood &rolling to front.I grab the ext. pull the pin mash the handle & nothing!!!! so I grab a 2 litter dew bottle full of water(i know-i know) start pouring it & nothing-so I get another one -it finally knocks the flames down enough to smother it with a towel . I looked it over--melted the wiring harness vacume lines scorched the firewall & bubbled the paint on the hood.Well at least I saved it.Man,and the days barely 1/2 over!!!!!!! I'm going to stay in the house!!!

2. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Glad that you saved it! Now fix her man!

3. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Get back to work.

:D

-W

p.s. with a fire extinguisher handy.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

generally when a car backfires if you keep cranking and it will suck the flame back down.

fire sucks.

5. larry k

larry k

And put a air filter on that puppy before you crank it !!

6. Midget25

Midget25

Every year you need to turn your powder filled extinguishers upside down and hit the bottom with a computhane hammer to loosen the powder. If it shows charged and you do this it should work.

7. I've had many carb fires over the years. Just keep cranking it over. Suck it in.

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

with Larry K on this one--always put an air filter on before trying to start a new one or one that has been sitting-have the wife handy with a wet towel and extinguisher as well

9. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Thankfully it wasn't worse. I agree with Larry K too. AIR FILTER!

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Been there and almost did the same thing. Had to rewire and clean the fire extiguisher stuff..Sucks, but the car was saved and fine

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fire extinguisher co rep that services the fire extinguishers here at the airport did just that last week with the one that is 6 ft from where I am sitting. He flipped it upside down and cradled it in one arm and banged it a few times with a mallet and set it back down. the one in my truck is self servicing, it rolls around under the seat enough to keep things stirred up.

Sorry to hear about the fire 72nd. It looks like it is under the hood project time.

Sometimes they will catch fire and burn with the air cleaner on them. The carb on the 70 chev truck that my son used to have did that on me on I 35 in Kansas and I had to put the fire out with a towel. It burned the air filter element to a crisp and melted the primary nozzles on the carb enough to distort them.