Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Burn, Shot and Peen process

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Studegator, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Studegator

Studegator

I just had a friend tell me about rebuilding his 1954 motor (Hudson). When describing cleaning out the rust and scale in the block and discussing the cleaning options with his machinist, he was told
    "folks who buy these engines (the machinist built motors) are required to sign away warranty on the engines if they use the burn and shot peen process."
    I have never heard that this could be an issue when prepping a block for building.
    Why?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Studegator

I am kinda aware of ‘shot peering’, but have never heard of this ‘burn and shot peen” combined process.....can you describe?

Ray

3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems not correct Studegator, Peening relieves stresses , 500 degrees burn for a cast iron block seems reasonable.., misunderstanding possibly , Maybe he could do the molasses rust removal if hes not in a hurry...

4. Tetanus

Tetanus

I think another name for it is bake and blast. Block gets heated up and oil grease turn to ash like when you run your oven on clean, then it gets shot blasted to get dried up stuff off.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Studegator

Studegator

Yes, that is the method!
    He just told me that after the block is shot peened, all of the shot can not be removed and winds up in the oiling system.

6. Although I have not seen this process done on engines, I have seen something similar on industrial castings. The castings are clamped onto a rack inside of a cabinet. Then heated, steel shot placed into the cavities which are then sealed, and the rack is spun and tilted. The steel shot removes the internal rust and scale. Is that what you are asking about?

7. Studegator

Studegator

Yes

8. Joe H

Joe H

Hagerty just had a Cadillac block cleaned, The block will be cleaned a couple more times before assembly, so getting all the shot out shouldn't be a problem. You should have the oil galleys open and brush cleaned no matter how you prep the block.