Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buried treasure in Hollywood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Nov 23, 2010.

1. themachine

themachine

what a great story SAVE THAT COUPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Douglas Fairbanks was racing Clark Gable and spun out?

3. Benzine440

Benzine440

Nyet! You mean Elisha Cook Jr. (with Marie Windsor)

Attached Files:

4. Benzine440

Benzine440

Mickey Cohen ran Los Angeles.

5. Benzine440

Benzine440

The canyons above L.A. are serious terrain. Everyone knows the story about the bass player from Iron Butterfly who disappeared in 1995 and was found (skeletal) in his Ford Aerostar at the bottom of Decker Canyon in 1999. Right? Who knows what else is up there? Maybe the Trogs...

kiwijeff and falcongeorge like this.
  6. Around here we would dig it out in a heart beat. You SoCal boys need to save it.

7. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

It looks real solid considering.... someone save it!

8. save that 40...heard a story once about one coupe in the mountains in calif...it was on its roof the dug it out the guy restored, repaired drove it!

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Dude, guys, it's DEAD! DId you miss the part of this thread where they CUT the rear window out of it?

It's cut-up and done for. Can't save it now! :eek:

10. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Save the trees.

wingnutz likes this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAMB expedition! All the fans of this thread can chip in a bit... rent a truck heavy enough to chain the rented winch to. Srencil something like "Sheriff's Labor Assistance Project Clean Highways" on the truck, give everyone there an orange vest imprinted the same...instant legitimacy!
    Everyone hanging out topside mills around and pretends to be putting beer cans into trash bags, while the serious crazies hook up the cables and explore far, far below...
    This will be MUCH better than whatever you thought you were going to do on your vacation, and we'll all have great stories to tell the grand children when we get out of prison!!

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Please bring back the parts that you cut out...the 93 year old owner is going to restore the '40 someday...

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

A few years ago in the Oakland hills a few cars were helicoptered out as a way to clean up some of the areas where cars have gone over. IIRC most were stolen late models ditched. But if any of the Hollywood area is like the Oakland hills, going up and down the hills safely would require some climbing gear. Let alone pulling up a few hundred pounds worth of steel. But hell if anyone wants to check those areas out, I'm game.

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Cool stuff...a few yrs. back I was mountain biking deep in the woods a few miles and came across a 67 rs/ss camaro convert. Hide away lights and ss hood and all. To bad it was buried half way up the doors with pine needles and every body panel was full of bullet holes. Most of the engine parts had been taken as well.

15. dclickster

dclickster

40's are where find them ! If you could get frame # or anything to attemp to trace it, it would sure be a worth while project. Good for you & keep us posted.

16. 48buickkid

48buickkid

if someone would pay for my plane ticket and give me a place to stay id help lol

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

I was thinking the same thing. Although it would be cool to save what is left.

18. Isn't there still an engine in it?

I worked on a construction project in the area back in the early '90s and I found what looked like a pair of Model T rear fenders. They were too far gone to bother with.

19. toml24

toml24

Im all for getting the car out but by removing it the hillside would become un-stable and the rock/mud slides would begin, and would finally cause the ground at the top of the hill (the road run-off area) to cave-in weeks or months from now.

20. S.F.

S.F.

I bet everything pictured there was stolen and dumped there....

21. I think I stopped by the site of these cars last week, whoops make that 1962. Time sure flys when you are having fun. I was guided there by the younger brother of a person that had been in a car club in the fifties. When the club disbanded they had several parts cars and decided the best thing to do was dump them in a canyon where if they needed any more parts they could still get them. If this is not the same place there is another similar one within a couple of miles.

Charlie Stephens

22. Bilt

Bilt

This is a neat thread. Make me ponder how the car got there and think how neat it would be, "The Hollwood Hotrod", the 40 Ford found under the Hollywood sign. I see big bucks!!! If it was in Kansas all it would take is a couple cases of beer and a few friends with shovels looking for a reason to drink free beer, although it wouldn't be as cool if it was in Kansas. The part that makes this interesting is where its located. This could have been a very cool build!!!

23. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I just found this thread and my first thought was the get away car and safe got disposed of at the same time ,Then after seeing the brackets in the trunk of that 40 and the extra diamond plate re enforcement my thought was the coupe AND the safe were joined at one time !I bet they both went over the side at the same time.If they were joined WHY?Was this a jewelers car ?A money trans port?What ever was supposed to be in that safe was burnable or else I think they would have used a torch on it!Guessing the car and safe were stolen they sure could have stolen a cutting torch but then once cutting into the interior of the safe burn up what was inside.

24. Oh really.......... Not before 1947.

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

26. the other me

the other me

All the more reason to get the car outta there!!!!

27. i ran demo jobs for 20 years...found tons of old safes..most locked...but empty...they have a layer of asbestos in just about all of them...makes a real mess trying to torch thru them...not to mention the health issues of asbestos...( the company i worked for running demo jobs for years also did abatement).....ya can see the white ab lining in the pic....

drilling was the easiest way to get in...but easiest to drill the lock pins..if ya knew where they are.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

28. Ramblur

Ramblur

29. RonGlowczewski

RonGlowczewski

I am pretty sure that this car is from the low budget horror movie "The Giant Gila Monster", made in 1959. A car just like this one rolls down a cliff in the first minute of the movie and lands exactly how this car is resting today.

This is the only picture of the car I can find on the internet; it is right before it rolls down the cliff:

image4.jpg