Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buried car...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RetroJoe, Oct 22, 2006.

1. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

That's cool! Let's plan a HAMB event for that day. I'd go!

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...I don't remember seein' any bald guys in the painting...;)

3. Bugman

Bugman

4. zoomy

zoomy

Something tells me that the entire car is going to be engulfed with mold and mildew if the vault was not sealed properly.

I put a leather jacket inside one of those hanging travel bags and stored it in a rented storage place. A year later when I took everything out of storage, the jacket was completely consumed with green mold. Some wood furniture was attacked by the same type of mold too. The unit did not leak any water but the moisture in the air was enough to ruin anything made from organic materials (wood, leather, cotton).

It should be interesting when they pull that car out.

5. Who knows,It may just be a rusty ;) rat rod by now,but I think I will drive out there, just to see that!

6. I bet it's all dried out and shriveled up...
    I bet when it comes out it's not a '57 anymore. More like a '52 or a '51...

JOE:cool:

7. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I'am gonna win that car

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

I definately think we should plan a HAMB event around this thing...it'd be killer to watch them dig it up...is there a new census being taken in 2007, or is the current one going to be used?

9. well ill be damned... i live maybe 30 minutes from seward, and have lived in nebraska my whole life, and i never knew about the time capsule! why a vega?

10. squirrel

squirrel

why a vega? would you bury a perfectly good car?

11. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

kick ass...i got dibs on the 50 year old case of beer ;)

12. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time ...

I wonder if I can make the drive out all the way from the east coast. =/

13. squirrel

squirrel

I was talking to my wife about the buried car thing over dinner, and she reminded me that she has hotel reservations....something about the Prowler guys going en masse because it's somehow plymouth related.

So maybe I"ll get to see it.

14. I find this interesting,& would like to see it raised in person.
    My dad buried a 6 pack of Oly,right near the shore of the Snake River in the mid 60s...Idaho flyfishing.
    We went back the next year(whatever that was) and it was still there.
    I had forgotten about it until we went back,remembered he buried it,& was intrigued/stunned it was still there.
    I was 9.
    Lifting that car out is bitchen.

15. I'm pretty sure the folks over at the Forward Look.com have snapped up all the available motel rooms by now. You'll be lucky to get within earshot of the event.

Even if rusted it will provide excellent glass and rubber parts.

Bonus! There are some 1950's style pharmacueticals in the glove box. Dibs!

16. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

In '68 I worked on a '57 T-bird that had been buried by some car thieves around Kingman,AZ. They figured the thing would cool off in 10 years time but were caught in the act of exhuming it from the desert . The tomb was made from RR ties and plywood plus some tarpaper. The Bird was claimed by the insurance adjuster that had made the pay-off on the claim and after some legal wrangling , he ended up the new owner . The motor was locked up from airborne moisture as was the trans,rear end and brake system . Cosmetically the outside looked decent but it had a musty odor inside , the chassis ,chrome and
    sheet metal also had some rust although not a bad as one would expect after 10 years. The perp in this case ? The registered owner in '57!

17. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Just a reminder June 15th is the day she comes out. John

The honor method is get on her and stay on her

18. cbreezer

cbreezer

It's probably gonna need a jump.

19. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

dibbs on the slittz

20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Never met your dad I don't think, but several times while camping and fishing I've found beer held down with a rock in the creek to keep it cold. Forgotten by whoever put it there. Once found 2 sixpacks way the hell up by round lake above Copper Basin. That's a 5 mile hike up the hill to just under a mountain peak from the nearest road. If that was your dad, tell him I said thanks...

21. I think the most ironic thing is the banner they had when they buried the car that read "Suddenly it's 2,007!"

Ray brock drove a Plymouth to 181 mph in 1957 for HRM... the name of the car was Suddenly!

Weird...

Sam.

22. moefuzz

moefuzz

It's pretty hard to shrink a hemi....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 70 Hemi'cuda is almost ready for the World of Wheels tour...
    http://moes-garage.spaces.live.com/

23. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'll probably take my kids and family to go see it as well. Should be interesting to say the least.

24. Nothing mysterious. In 1957 Plymouth's ad slogan was "Suddenly it's 1960!"

25. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

26. BusDriverJ

BusDriverJ

Thats is really cool. Just my thought, they put gas in there too. Did they not think is was going to go bad in 50 years. The stuff goes bad in less than 1 year with all the detergents in it now.
    Also, did anyone rear the comments people made in the youtube link. Most of those people are idiots. They dont think any cars from the 50s and older exxist except in museums.