Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bumper Car Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bumpercarkid, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

I'm taking an old Electric Bumper Car and putting a gas snowblower motor in it. Has anyone else done anything like this? Any Pictures or ideas on what to do?

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Here's a link to my bumpercars" website.
    http://www.thunderpig.homestead.com/

It was a little restoration project that got way out of control. Hope ya like it. Its a blast to drive, and usually outdraws all the big bucks cars at car shows.

Post a pic of yours, and I can prolly tell you make and year. I'm in the amusement business for a living so I tend to know a bunch of irrelevant crap like that.

Attached Files:

3. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

Here are some pictures of the starting point. Do you know the year, brand, or have any ideas for me?

Attached Files:

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That would make an awesome swap meet/car show cruiser.

Frank

5. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a snowblower motor in it or any other ideas?

6. chevymike

chevymike

There is a guy in Escondido, CA that has built about 6 of them. He even managed to get them street legal, with license plates and all. Normally you will see them up at Cruisin' Grand on Friday nights during the summer. Sorry no name/number but it might give you a good direction to look. I think he used ATV's as the starting point.

Good luck and very cool. Wish I had one to play with.

7. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Chaz and I lining up to drag in Wendover...
    [​IMG]

You could try to use the snowmobile clutch and hook that to a chain drive go cart type axle.

8. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Thunderpig has a 5 hrs Briggs motor to a 4spd tecumsa tranny compete with reverse and a golf cart rear. I think the tranny came out of the golf cart also, Check the Thunderpig site he posted for more.

9. I used an old riding lawn mower with the motor and trans....7hp briggs. I shortened the frame and the front axel....I would take some pics but it is buried in the garage.....just take the plywood floor out and attach the bumper brakets to the lawn mower chassis....

Don

10. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

If I'm making a chassis for the bumper car to put the motor, rubber wheels, and attach the bumper car what kind of metal do you think would work the best? Angle Iron?

11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I used 2 inch square tubing on mine and it worked great. I'ts easiest in my opinion to start from scratch rather than trying to morph an existing implement (snowblower, riding mower) to fit. Pull the motor and gearbox and make a new frame to hold the various components.

As far as your car, its a later model fiberglas car. I'm guessing 80's They stopped using metal for the bodies in about 1953. Most of the fiberglas bodies were (and are) imported from Italy. The whole amusement industry is dominated by foriegn manufacturers now.

Attached Files:

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Another View.
    [​IMG]

13. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

Does a bumper car frame fit on that?

14. Very cool....Looks a little heavy, I wouldnt want to bump into that one...hehhe...I used smaller box on mine. Just wanted it for the kids to ride around it. You spent way more time on yours and it shows. Nice. Don

15. Buckle

Buckle

Man, that is killer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.