Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bum deal on a motor I bought

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THR1LL3R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here is my generic caveat that I provide with everything I sell:

I have told you everything I know about this car, and everything I told you, I believe to be true, but....if the engine falls out when you hit the starter, you need to start figuring out how to get your engine out of my driveway.

To the OP, I am afraid you are out of luck on this one, but maybe you still recover some of you money in the resale. Hope so.

2. Jakebob

Jakebob

Yes. This. :D

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Really? People go to small claims all the time on cases even older. I wonder if that's why the SL is 5 years on contracts here? Hmmmm....

Also, he did mention that the seller acknowledged that the motor was a 312 after the sale and before. One email or PM with that info is all the proof needed (or he could just admit it in his answer).

You've been watching Judge Judy, but not paying attention.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Working in a Chevrolet dealership, a week doesn't go by that someone doesn't call me with an engine code that they want me to I.D. for them....the only problem being that 90 percent of them HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THE ENGINE. Lots of crying is heard when the 350 turns out to be a 305, and the 300hp 327 is in reality a 307 out of a '71 pickup. The time to check things out is before any money changes hands.

6. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Is it all stock? Have you taken the heads off, and measured the bore, or stroke of the motor?
    I only ask because, assuming the block is sound, you can turn a 272 into a 312 by boring the block and turning the mains.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in order to sue there has to be a monetary loss. what is the price difference between a 272 and 312 in the same condition? it's not like we are comparing a Boss 302 to a regular 2bbl 302.

even after a win in court, there is nothing to make the guy pay, so it is just a big waste of time regardless of the outcome. I say cut your losses and be done with it.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Bingo

can we get a chicken dinner for this guy?:cool::D

9. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you had discovered that the engine you bought was a stroker with way more good stuff in it than you thought, would you call him up and try to give him more money after a year has gone bye?

10. And the burden of proof is on you.....Do you know what that means? It means YOU, the plaintiff, must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he, the defendent, miss-represented the engine.

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

agree with everyone else. you shoulda checked it out more. the attitude you had towards people on here responding to YOUR thread trying to help YOU out was shitty. no need to snap at people. we've all fucked up. lifes to short to stress over a damn motor brother, take it in stride and move along

12. brad chevy

brad chevy

Lesson learned,this ones on you,buy you a code book so it doesn't happen again. Never believe what you hear,only what your eyes see.

13. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Did you read my post above? Any email or PM where the seller states "312" is proof.

14. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Exactly! There is a monetary loss. The price paid for the engine. That would be the contractual agreement in dispute. The full price paid + any shipping or other reasonable expenses associated with the purchase paid for what was represented as a 312.

15. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

I would haunt the guy you bought it from so he finally pays you to go away. Next time don't wait, get a list of part numbers, you dropped the ball on this one.

16. Hurry get your post count up fellas... Where's my chicken dinner?

17. Again the Burden of proof is on the plaintiff to guarantee the autheticity of the parties transacting in the email.

18. maybe we can set up a sting operation to get it word of mouth...who wants to wear the wire?

19. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

You bought a story, you got a story.

20. I am nominating you for the "Takes a beating and keeps on ticking" award! .... time heals all wounds.

21. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You previously bought from him and you assumed that he knew what he was selling. As a return buyer you still should know what you are buying. Engine block numbers are easily identified. Been there done that accepted the loss and continue forward. Living in spilled milk will just turn sour, lifes too short to worry about the little things.

22. Old saying(quote...Do not believe anything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see).....Don't buy until you identify what you are getting .So don't complain its your own fault for not checking it out.JMO

23. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

If someone came back to me a year later trying to get money back for a decades old used auto part, I'd show em' where the cliff was and tell them in no uncertain terms to jump.

24. Ahh it is what it is,I made a mistake and it came to bite me in the ass.I posted it up on here and got some tough love from some guys and some disrespect from a couple of Hamb trolls. Life goes on and Ill go back to working on my Shoebox and some will go back to trolling....;)

25. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

unfortunately shit happens that we all have to live with

26. 231ramona

231ramona

I know how you feel. I didn't get what I thought I was getting when I married my wife either but it's been 20 years and her Dad won't take her back.

27. Ha now thats funny! Best reply on this thread!!

28. pastlane

pastlane

"An educated consumer is our best customer"

29. zzford

zzford

I'm glad my crank doesn't have a half moon cut. Seems like it would hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.