Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest "BULLITT" Steve McQueen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Oct 31, 2012.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

They pass the same bug a few times.

2. Muttley

Muttley

Honestly, I dont even remember that part. I was so bored by the time it was over I was nearly comatose. The perfect late '60's/early '70's Detective film would have been Dirty Harry with the Bullitt chase scene inserted in the middle. ;) :cool:

3. The passenger in the Charger with the shotgun is the Highway Patrolman in "Hot Rods to Hell"....Also that informant guy Eddie....bad acting....

4. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I was good friends with Ekins up to the end. He did several stunts in the show. They told him to show up at 6:30 AM to film.They told McQueen 10:30 AM. McQueen was a good driver but too polished as one. Bud drove like a cop would. Slid it, wheel hop etc. McQueen was pretty PO'd when he found out what happened.
    He also did the scene in the chase where he laid down a motorcycle.
    His most famous scene was in the Great Escape. One take!
    He and McQueen were running buddies and highly competitive too. They loved to out do each other on vintage bike scores.

5. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

How weird....I clicked on the tv last night and Bullitt was on...I always get hooked into it and I watched it again for the millionth time....and I have it on CD, but it drags you in and you can't get out!!!! On my favourite list forever.

6. I would agree....the first time I saw this scene was at a Smashing Pumpkins concert...20 years ago.....We had been waiting for what seemed like an eternity since the intro act had played and then it went black, everyone went crazy......and then BAM !!! this scene came up on a massive screen with the sound turned all the way to 11. It was deafening - but awesome, then on came the Pumpkins - Great start to a concert.

7. The chase scene was filmed with multiple cameras at different angles on the intersections. They just show the same intersection jump from a different angle, that's why so many hubcaps come off and so many green VW bugs get passed.

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Its a yawner. You call that driving? The charger coundnt corner at all,hit something every time.lol.

9. There's 1 bug, they used a lot of camera's...thats why the Charger loses so many hubcaps!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That Mustang RIPS IT ALL TO SHREDS at 7pm Central time on Turner Classic Movies......TONIGHT!!!

11. Wednesday 22 at 8PM... It's on TCM tight now! HRP

12. Introduced by no less than William Friedkin....

13. Bullitt, The French Connection and To Live and Die In LA are my three favorite chase scenes. If you haven't seen the last one, check it out. It conveys that adrenalin rush that you get during a high-speed getaway. Don't ask me how I know.

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I have seen the movie so many times that I just see what time the movie starts,wait until it's time and go to the scene where McQueen spots the Charger.

15. I just recorded the chase scene!!!

seatex likes this.
  16. My wife and I saw this in the movies back in 1968. We were dating. We just watched it while a wicked thunderstorm rolled through our area. Still a cool movie. It was neat to see Steve have to lock the Mustang doors with a key and all the 50's & 60's cars.

17. First time I saw it was in a packed theater, I loved it when everyone went whumf when that mustang hit the first bump! I agree that the movie wasn't all that great story-wise, all I remember was a guy got shot gunned in a motel room and there was a kick-ass car chase.
    I do remember the cute little chick that was with me that evening, we've been married for 40 years.

18. Rob68

Rob68

That was the hotel Daniels (spelling?). I've always wanted to find an ashtray or something from that place.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No I havent. If I run across it somewhere I'll check it out. Whats really cool about the appearance of the coupe in the Thomas Crown Affair, is I'm sure its an accident, and it just happened to be parked in front of the store when they filmed the scene.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Forget to mention the movie "Bachelor in Paradise" is with Bob Hope and Lana Turner, filmed in 1960, in Woodland Hills,CA

24. toml24

toml24

Listening to the soundtrack in my own car as I drive around town is cool. The music is really good.

25. carguy699

carguy699

while by todays standard,it might seem a little lame,but remember back in 1968 it was earthshattering due to what the other movies of the time were. the sounds,camera footage and all the other details were awesome for the time!! it is still my favorite movie and I do agree that the soundtrack is excellent!
    jim

26. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I liked McQueen as the head wrench spinner (MM 1st Class Jake Holman) in the Sand Pebbles, "main stem wow,... sleepy stem" The cat was all business right to the end............

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've loved and admired watching him in all his films. "The Great Escape" was my favorite for a long time. But "Papillon" was the role that I absorbed. The "never forget who you are" and "never give up" message is VERY strong in that film. I think it was his personal message to Hollywood, that his world was not like theirs and he would NEVER do their films, just to make a lot of money. He was a loner and he kicked Hollywood in the nuts, when ever they tried to change him.

This quote from the movie "Lemans" is powerful, especially in the way he says it. I think it may have been the quote that defined his later passion for racing and his craft.

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."

"Lemans", was NOT a money maker for the studio, but it was made the way Steve wanted it to be made. That's why it is STILL used as an example of not only that race, but racing in general. His terms, or nothing.

28. aaggie

aaggie

I loved the old chase scenes too but the other day I was flipping the channels and came upon a movie called "Ronin" with Robert DiNero and the chase was as good as "Bullitt". He was driving a Pugeot and the lady was in a BMW, the chase was through the streets of Paris. It lasted about five minutes and was terrific.

loudbang likes this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Bullitt" was made in '68 and EVERY chase scene after that, has been an attempt to duplicate or go one better. There's a few that come close, but when you add logistics and time period, it'll be a LONG time before someone does it better. It's the one that every other chase scene gets compared to. There's a reason for that.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Here's some good reading about the film locations.

http://www.rjsmith.com/bullitt-locations.html